The BEST chicken herder..

New Kid In the Coop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 15, 2008
SW Washington
I have a four year old son who really loves his chickens...maybe a little too much. He likes to go in the run and try to catch them and hold them and love them and squeeze them! I think they have come to learn the sound of his voice. Tonight I was out there trying to catch the little buggars to put in their coop because it was getting cold and windy. I must have spent a good 5-10 minutes trying to catch them and they kept outsmartin' me. Anyway, my son comes out in the backyard and yells "MOM!" All them chickens went runnin like they found gold in the hen house! They were all in their coop in like 3 seconds flat! So now I know how to get those chicks in thier coop at night! I'll just call my little chicken herder!

That story is too cute!
love.gif
Our chickens respond to one of my 2 1/2 year olds. They run up to him and let him pick them up!

Edited for capitalization

Last edited:
He is actually pretty good with them. I think they just don't like to be mauled so much. He likes to put them to sleep when he catches them. We call him the chicken whisperer! He holds them on their backs, cups his other hand gently over their face and whispers Shhhhh.... Cracks me up!

Kids in the run are so much fun to watch! Mine run from my 8 year old the second they see him comin down the hill. The 4 year old we call the chicken whisperer. He has a white silkie named yoda who will jump into his arms as soon as he gets into the run. It is quite amusing to watch.

Back
Top Bottom