The best children's chickens

Do you think the thread is well presented and has the right information for the topic.

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sort of

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • the first third

• the second third

• the last third

• Missed the whole idea

• Got it right

• Total voters

Benjamin III

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 17, 2014
Pacific island.
The best children's chickens depend on what you want. If you live in a hotter area better to get a barred hen, Red sex link hens or a good old Black sex link hen. They are great layers, are relatively good companions for kids, and make great thanksgiving and Christmas dinner.

These are some of the best chickens I have had. I am only twelve and will tell you that making you children kill there own chickens is necessary. It is very important that they understand where their meat comes from. Not that meat comes from a package in the store. Children must understand where there meat comes from that everything doesn't come from a store, but a real animal. It is very important to relate your children to having their own pet, and there own connection to their food. I was given four chickens, the one that is a rooster (There will be one or more out of four...) The other three were good layers and they were kept for a long time. It is ok for a child to get emotionally attached to a chicken, usually one ends up a pet, but they also should be ready to accept the chicken as a food source through eggs/dinner. Every child should have three chickens that follow them around and are the equivalent to a dog. It teaches many, many, many valuable lifelong lessons.

Cautions: Be careful to make sure the children are old enough and responsible enough so the chickens don't end up being the parents. Make sure the child doesn't become a pilot teaching flying lessons or anything the chickens would not need to know or might be dangerous. Trust me, it is much better for the chickens to have as little experience in flying as possible. Make sure that the child has enough time to take care of and feed his chickens.

Housing: Just a cage under somewhere protected from rain is good. One they are old enough, try and make a nest for them so they have somewhere to lay regularly instead of all over the place.

Grazing: Let them go out near the cage, hopefully you live near a forest and the chickens will learn in a few days to go out into the forest/backyard to find food. Keep water and food clean and dry so they can come back to the cage at night or when they are hungry. Try and set up a sound like a bell that will call the chickens in at night. Let them out at dawn and bring them in at dusk. If you are in a colder climate, you may have to enclose the house in a shed and make sure they don't get to cold at night. If it snows where you live, then get a breed for colder climates.

Have fun and get a chicken!

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. It depends on how you define best children's chicken. I would assume the best chicken for children would be one that was friendly, calm, gentle, didn't mind being handled (gently) by children, and posed no real threat of injury to the children. Given this criteria, I would say that Silkies are the best chickens for children, followed closely by Cochin or Pekin bantams. If you want a standard breed for children, then one of the standard breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle would be the best such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Cochins, Brahmas, Sussex, or Faverolles. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your poll.

Interesting first post? LOL
welcome-byc.gif

I do agree with most/some of what you're saying, but for my stubbornness, I am nearly forced to defend my own opinion and share it as professionally as possible -- I do believe that children should know where food comes from and know that sometimes animals have to be killed for food. But I don't think they should see or experience the death of a pet (although it may not have been intended for a pet) by the hands of family or themselves. I think it should be something they understand, but not experience until at least 16.
I know that others may have different opinions, but I'm just stating my own.

Recap: Not trying to be rude, just giving my part of opinions. And
welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif

A lot of breeds have bantam sized versions as well - I recommend silkies, cochins and faverolles. Silkies and favs however tend to be bullied by other breeds so maybe would be best raised together.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Great information! I have found that my Plymouth Barred Rocks don't do so well in the heat as they do in the cold. Mine are much better suited for the cold than the heat.

Gorgeous Barred Rock Rooster!! Wow, very pretty!

Enjoy your journeys with your birds and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

Cochins and Silkies are two great breeds for children. They are usually tame, sweet, and easy to handle. I also recommend the Wyandotte, as mine have been personable and docile.

I have a 4 year old and my 4 hens are very sweet to him. Follows him around all through out the back yard. I have 2 langshans, a white rock and a Welsummer.

Oh no, the pets always stay until the last day but Im talking bout the rooster, or if you have an excess, then probably eat the least favorite one. I could never eat my favorites.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom