The best chocolate egg chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happymorrows, Jan 5, 2011.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    I am looking to add a few chocolate eggs to the basket this spring. Which of these three breeds would you recommend and why.

Barnevelder
    Welsummer
    Marans (I like the Black Copper ones)

2. Personal preference here is Black Copper Maran's. Although I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Barnevelders don't give "chocolate" eggs at all. They're hardly even any darker than the average brown, sadly.

Welsummers usually give a decent orangey terra-cotta color. They're a nice addition for some variety.

French Marans are an excellent choice for a deep chocolate, practically blood red color that sometimes verges towards black. Stay away from Cuckoo, Blue, Splash, and Black though. Go for Black Copper, Wheaten, Blue Wheaten, and Blue Copper. Most Cuckoos, Golden Cuckoos, and the other sort lay just as good as a Welsummer.

4. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    I love Wellies and Marans!

When they're laying, my BCMs have really dark eggs. I only have bantam Wellies right now and no eggs yet, so have no idea how dark these will be.

5. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    I have French Black Copper Marans and I LOVE their eggs. Beautiful large dark brown eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by