1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the best dust bath...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bkterry, Jul 24, 2008.

1. bkterry

bkterry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2008
    We just moved our chicken coop and run to a highly overgrown and over weeded area of our land so the chickens can de-weed it for us. They don't have anywhere nearby or in the pen to dust bathe in though so I thought I'd make them something. I have a cat litter box but I'm not sure what the best thing to fill it with is. I've heard of using sand but I'm wondering if there are other good or better options to use....[​IMG]

2. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

I mix sand, dirt, DE and a little fireplace ash....seems to do the trick. And when I dont' feel like mixing it up....I just throw some DE in their dust box....they love it!
    [​IMG]

3. bkterry

Mar 6, 2008
    Cool. The main thing I'm wanting to do is make sure I can sprinkle some pest control (probably sevin) in with it

4. Lea71

Lea71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh....I'm not sure about the sevin...maybe someone else can answer that??? I use the DE for mite and parasite control...it's a non-chemical option.

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, 5% sevin dust in the dusting holes is your best friend, I would never be without it! Simply add some to the dusting area, mix it in and allow the flock to do the rest.

It keeps life simple and the flock protected from lice and mites, a simple win, win situation for you and the flock.

Good Luck and nothing but the best wishes....

bigzio

6. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    is Sevin safe for them to consume? Our girls like to eat their dust as well as roll around in it.

7. bkterry

Mar 6, 2008
    I know about 80% of the people I've talked to have said that sevin is harmless on chickens, but some disagree. I've dusted my chickens once with sevin with no problems.

8. bkterry

Mar 6, 2008
    And I forgot to add, does anyone use just regular dirt from their yard to make a dust bath for their chickens? [​IMG]

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

My birds make their own baths as they free range, but I have also put poultry lice dust in their holes no problem.

10. chilisweet

chilisweet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    I went to the feed store yesterday to get some sevin and they dont carry it anymore. In fact, none of the feed stores in my area do, anymore. I wonder why? Instead, they carry a poultry/garden dust. Gosh, just reading the label made me kinda scared to use it..Can't get it on my skin or clothes, and if I do, I need to call the Poison Control center immediately! Sheesh, are they sure its safe for chickens? [​IMG]

My girls have mites, thats for sure...but I dont know if I want to use something that toxic to kill them...Won't DE be enough?

~Caran

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by