1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The best flock protection

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by SentryFE, Jun 12, 2011.

1. SentryFE

SentryFE Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Here is the best flock protection you could ask for. This is EVA often refered to as Evil Eva. Do to the fact that she does not like strange animals or strange people. This is how she spends her day just watching over the flock when they are out.
    [​IMG]

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine does that too but he's so fat, he looks like a fat kid chasing a ice cream truck when he runs. Even the hens laugh and point! [​IMG]

3. SentryFE

May 30, 2011
    LOL we have a corgi like that. Eva is 100lbs and not a once of fat.

4. sabianshepherds

sabianshepherds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Cleveland
    Way to go Eva. Chopper is my herding dog, and he's the guardian of the flock. I pretty much live 5 miles from Downtown Cleveland, so there aren't any real predators, maybe a skunk or possum, but having the dogs in the back sure keeps the pest away.

5. SentryFE

May 30, 2011
    Eva is a Giant Schanuzer Herding / working / Gaurd Dog

6. Hnownr

Hnownr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2011
    Quote:Hey, fat kids gotta eat too!

7. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    He is so cute! I have a black lab mix that is the same way, only she perches on the deck and surveys the property from there. I suspect she thinks she's a rooster. When the hens come out of the coop doing their laid egg bawk, she runs to the door to go outside to see what's the matter. I doubt the neighbors love hearing her bark, particularly in the evening, we don't let her do it much so that she doesn't bother anyone, but she does an excellent job at critter control.

8. NightingaleJen

NightingaleJen Out Of The Brooder

Good dog, Eva! I wonder if certain breeds/types are better at this than others...I know I wouldn't trust my parents' Golden, for instance, but my collie just loves every living critter and would probably let hens sleep on him. Not without supervision, of course, but...

9. edgroger

edgroger Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2011
    Wow eva is such a nice dog [​IMG] But still im surprised to see a big schnauzer.

Quote:I would love to see a picture of your dog [​IMG] Please post pics!!!

10. JerzeyTransplant

JerzeyTransplant Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Blount County
    Very Nice. I'm trying to get my Lab to just act normal around the coop. One day I would love for her to be "The Guardian".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by