the best for eating?

secretquail

Songster
9 Years
Apr 11, 2010
Chapel Hill
So what is everyone's opinion??? I have corturnix, but may want to try bobs. My corturnix are scrawny little things. I just went into lockdown with about 30, so a feast is right around the corner. I'll have plenty to replace, but just wondering if bobs are fatter/yummier.

Quote:
Thats not all true.

There is a variation of bobwhites that max out at 32 oz. They aren't really harder to raise they just require more space and patience. As far as regulation it varies from states some states don't care others do.

secretquail - you shouldn't make your decision based on one persons opinion do some research, use google yahoo search, or bing whatever you'd like. As far as munchies reply, you can't forget that it didn't really answer your question which was do bobwhites taste better, from many opinions I heard it does but how much do you have to loose in acquiring some hatching eggs and growing them out to 12-16 weeks so you can answer your own question.

Bobwhites, hands down
wink.png

First to Hatch, you're right. Thanks for the reality check.
wink.png
I'm just starting to think about the bobs, thanks for the input everyone.

Quote:
I have just the opposite here my bobs are about a year old they are about 12-16 oz my coturnix are about 8-12 oz they are about 2-6 months old. The coturnix to me are the most suicidal things until they are about a month old the bobs seem smarter at about a week old then the corts are at a month
smile.png

I love my Jumbo Brown Coturnix. 12-16 oz PLUS at eight weeks, calm, SO social and easy going, hardy as can be, quick incubation, quick grow out, quick replacement
smile.png

Quote:
Well, I'm curious....

So, do you mean that they range from 12-16 oz, with 12 oz being the smallest? Or that you have some that get up to 12-16 oz, with others that are smaller?

I've been buying eggs this spring and summer from people that advertise having big birds, but so far 12 oz is the biggest I've gotten, and a lot have been a lot smaller.

Thanks
smile.png

Taste and texture of particular species can be a matter of personal preference, time of the year, climat, feeding, and it is highly subjective, debatable and often controversial.

So I am on my way to try every possible game bird I can. I raised and consumed ringneck pheasants, they are pain to hatch, and raise (large pens needed). I was not impressed with their meat, it was good but personally Guineas taste better to me and they are much easier and cheaper to raise if you have a pasture.

I raised few Chukars this year, they were delicious, but so are my jumbo coturnix, now I am out to try some Butlers for comparison. If Butlers won't turn out superior to the others I mentioned tastewise I will stay with Chuckars and Coturnix since Chukar is relatively large bird and reaches butchering weight in 4 months (faster then bobwhites).

Generally coturnix can not be beaten cause of their prolific nature, shortest incubation period, easiness of hatching and raising, record short time from egg to table.

Basically they blow away all other species with those adventages.

If I was to raise one kind only that would be coturnix hands down.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom