The Best Hatch Rate I Will Ever Get....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Silkie Nut, May 19, 2012.

1. Silkie Nut

Silkie Nut Chirping

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Florida
    Olivia, my cochin bantam hen, went broody a few weeks ago. I figured we could let her sit on some eggs just for the fun of it. Since I don't have a full grown rooster, I got some eggs from a friend. I actually gave her my rooster, Pebbles, when he turned out to be a boy. So, anyways I went and talked to her, and ended up with 4 pebbles eggs! Well today, Saturday the 19th, Two eggs hatched this morning. I had to go out and do errands after that, and when i came home around six, All of her babies had hatched. I was so excited! I rewarded my little hen with praises and treats. She loves her babies. Well....funny story...I traded A little roo I had for two sebright pullet chicks today...Soooooo...as of right now I have 12 chickens....Luckily my family and I plan on moving to a place with 1-2 acres. My babies will get to free range all day! lol....i love chickens!

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Songster

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

Awesome job she did!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Wow, lots of chicken tradin' going on there! Super!

4. Silkie Nut

Silkie Nut Chirping

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Florida
    LoL! I can''t help it! Chickens are like potato chips! You can't have just one! [​IMG]

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Mama hens will always do a better job than Mama Styrofoam! If your Sebright chicks are small enough, you can sneak them in under that hen at night and she may adopt them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: