The best place to get silkieees! :)

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tripp16, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok so my last thread was me asking if I should get silkies. Which made up my mind for me! Of course Im getting silkies!! LOL [​IMG]

The only thing is I cannot find live chicks anywhere, that people will ship to me. There arent many breeders where I live so their hard to find. The only thing Ive been able to find are silkie eggs. But the problem is I have no broody hen or incubator.......so Idk what to do? [​IMG]

Any suggestions?? [​IMG]

Thanks! [​IMG]

2. raro

raro Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2010
    Are you anywhere near a Tractor Supply Company? They have "Chicken swaps" every now and then. That's where I got my silkies. Most farmers were selling (I didn't see any "swapping," I guess they call it that for tax purposes or something), and there were all ages. I asked about Easter Eggers and was told by several people that they go fast as chicks. But I wanted older ones because I'm too nervous about all the incubator stuff! A lady there had two 10-week-old silkie hens and I was hooked. They are amazing little gals.

3. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    How much are you looking to spend? Bobbi Porto is a great breeder and sells pet quality and show quality birds. Google her and you should find her website.

4. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    got mine on craigslist.

5. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    cjexotic (a member on here) has amazing silkies! does eggs and chicks. Chicks are excellent. Highly recommend

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Where are you located? There are a ton of us in middle TN with all colors of them. [​IMG]

7. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Im located in NC I do have a regular TSC store I go to but never heard of them doing a swap.

I am not quite sure how much they go for. But I guess $30 would probably be my guess. Am I right?

8. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

That depends upon the quality you're looking for.

9. Tripp16

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Quote:Just a Silkie. Im really not into the showing thing. Just want some more babies to spoil!! Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by