the best waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickgrrl, Dec 10, 2012.

1. chickgrrl

chickgrrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    Any suggestions for a good, inexpensive waterer for hens? We are going to go to my folks for the holidays and I CAN come back to check on chickens but I don't really want to. I have the 1 gallon waterer made of tin from the feed store but the water tends to get kind of gross and they manage to spill it all over just for fun. Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

A one gallon waterer isn't big enough for my girls - to my mind. This might be a good time to get a larger waterer, perhaps one with a heater for the winter depending where you live.

One gallon isn't strong enough to be protected from the chickens. I have three and five gallon water devices that are heavy enough to survive over-excited chicken behavior.

Just a thought.

Love, Smart Red

3. chickgrrl

chickgrrl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2012
    I'm so sorry - its a 3 gallon. Its the galvanized one that drips and keeps full. Its not really them making it a mess - I didnt write that well - it just seems like the water gets kind of gross inside the holding tank part but I haven't used it since summer and maybe it was because of the heat. I'll put it in there again and see if I have some luck. Thanks

4. Linn Bee

A 3-gallon waterer should work just fine. Do you add apple cider vinegar (ACV) to your water? That will keep the gunk inside the water tank much cleaner AND it's good for your chickens.

Love, Smart Red

5. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The acidic ACV will eat the metal in the Galvanized waterer. This time of year a good cleaning should be enough.

6. Linn Bee

Sorry, that is correct.

I don't use my galvanized waterer anymore and ACV is fine with plastic waterers like I do use.

7. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    Take a look at my post for a gravity fed water system. Cheap and maintainance free. Let me know what you think.
    Thanks Rich

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by