1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The best way to integrate ducks with chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by acreativemrs, Oct 8, 2013.

1. acreativemrs

acreativemrs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Last night I was given two Muscovy's I was told they are "Tweens". The chickens are a year old and have only been around chickens but the ducks have been raised with chickens. I put the ducks in a sectioned off area in the run and no one seemed to mind. So they did that for about three hours and then I moved to divider a bit and again everything was fine . But when the ducks came out of the area one of the chickens kept pecking at its feet. So I put the divider back up. Both sides have their own food and water. Any suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It takes time to introduce especially if the chickens haven't ever been around ducks. I would keep them separate until you are absolutely sure the chickens aren't messing with them. But keep trying to get them together for a while each day with treats when you can be there to watch. Chickens can really put a hurting on ducks with their pecking even injuring eyes. Right now the chickens are looking at the ducks as outsiders. [​IMG]

3. acreativemrs

acreativemrs Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2013
    Thank you Miss Lydia. That is what I figured but wanted to double check :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by