The best way to ship eggs...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Riven, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Riven

Riven Songster

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    I know not every post office would be willing to do this, BUT they should, and you have the right to complain until they do! It is their job to get the packages there safely and well for how much shipping anything is anymore, it SHOULD get their safely!

Anyway, I got a box of eggs today and they had put the box inside on of the white USPS carrying boxes ( if you don't know what it is think a plastic/cardboard file box ) and secured it in there with those plastic straps ( not zip ties but kind of the same idea) VIOLIA! The box could not get smashed and would not get dropped down conveyors!

It is the post offices job to get fragile items there in one piece!

My post master is also checking for me on insurance. If insurance covers broken eggs or not, I understand they don't guarantee they will hatch, but I've had quite a few broken batches this year and when you end up with 3 eggs instead of six, your $5 eggs quickly turn into $10 eggs!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Usually the damage done to shipped eggs is internal. I've been told by different post offices (not just regarding shipped eggs) that if the contents of the box are broken, but the box shows no visible damage, you are just out of luck.

3. Riven

Riven Songster

Apr 27, 2009
    Central Nebraska
    I've had some that were visibly smashed... like an accordion on the sides! I even took one in to show them.

A lot of the "internal" damage comes from being run on and dropped repeatedly, into bags, on conveyors, sorters, etc. the "tubs" generally don't go on them because they are usually filled with more than one package or full of letters, which would not be ideal for the conveyor/sorting system. So really this way they would receive better handling.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    It would be, but most likely they did that once the package got to that office. I would doubt that it was sent all through the system that way.

ETA: If the package is insured and there is visible damage to the outsides of the box, they should comp you for it.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: