1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The big chicken turn off…

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by max13077, Aug 28, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

…Or other home raised meat for that matter. A friend and I are raising some Cornish roasters, he has some hogs, and also some beefers. I was amazed to hear his wife today say she is and will not eat any of the meat we put on the table. She eats “from the super market only.” It flabbergasts me. I can’t get a straight answer as to why.

Anybody else ever run into this. FWIW, her mother is the same way. I don’t get it.

2. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I felt like that when we first started getting eggs from the chickens, I wouldn't eat them only store bought. I changed my mind once i tried the eggs vs store bought! Much better taste and very healthy looking eggs. Maybe if she tries a nice pork chop from one of the hogs she will change her mind?

3. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I don't get it either. We raised 2 hogs a couple of years ago and gave them to my BIL and his new wife for a luau at their wedding. Their names were Louis and Martha, which then became Sweet&Sour & BBQ, literally. Grass & fallen fruit fed. It was the most awesome pork I'd ever eaten. They are really going to be missing something.
    [​IMG]

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    For some people ignorance is bliss.

They don't want to know how their food has been raised or processed.

They don't want to know if the person who is handling the processing washed their hands after going to the restroom or not.

They want to go at it blindly, thinking what they don't know can't hurt them.

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    sorry, but that is about the funniest thing I ever heard! Does she really think the folks at Walmart, the PigglyWiggly, the Safeway, Stop and Shop or wherever have her interests at heart? Or the chickens!?

And does this lovely person also believe in fairies!?

6. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I cant eat anything that "I" raise.

Simple. A package of "grocery store" meat whether it be beef, pork or chicken doesnt have a face or a name. It just has a price and a tag.
    And it isnt like I dont know where it comes from or the process. I went to an Aggie high school that, back then had its own production herds and flocks. AND did all its own processing* that has since stopped. They dont even have a dairy herd anymore:confused: So no farm fresh milk even.
    I remember growing up one of the places we boarded our horses had a beef steer. The owners daughters raised it. Although she never showed the steer she fed it and named it.(BIG mistake there LOL)
    One day they had a big BBQ get together for all the boarders and neighbors. Her dad was flipping burgers on the grill and after she had hers on her plate made a comment that it was "Blackie" She turned green, called her dad some very nasty things and ran from the yard crying. I sometimes wonder if she ever forgave him for that.. or if it was even the truth.

7. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:RR always has a way with words and he is almost always right.

My words: She's a moron. Let her live on her little planet. I hope it's
    nice there.

I have a "minor" problem eating anything I didn't raise.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2008
  8. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    My ex-wife would not eat deer meat. I made supper one night and used it in the spahgetti ! My ex-mother in-law would not eat it either, so I called and invited my in-laws over. After they had cleaned their plates (twice) , I pushed back from the table and asked how they liked supper? Well they both had a few bites to go and as soon as I told them it was deer, neither one took another bite! LMAO

9. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Normally I'd never advocate lying, but it would only be once and she'll thank you later.

10. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I learned a lot in Spain during spring break my last year of college(My roomate invited us home with him). We were having dinner to celebrate our arrival when my roommates uncle slapped down a dish of snails bathed in a steaming red sauce in front of me. Mind you, my roommates entire extended family is staring at me as I picked up the first one. I tried it. It was GOOD! Ever since I always try some of whatever it is. Even if I don’t like it, I can say I tried it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by