1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the BIG Chill, La style (3 pics) added a couple more

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by bayouchica, Jan 2, 2008.

1. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    It got COLD here in Louisiana !! We had temps in the mid 20's & highs may be in the low 40's. There's one heck of a stiff northern breeze coming off the bayou, even have a little ice built up along the bank.
    I feel for all off you northerners, I've had refill the waters cause they were all frozen & might have to again. [​IMG] We had to keep the water dripping so our pipes wouldn't break,so far so good.
    [​IMG]

Poor, confused, Daffy
    [​IMG]

Yesterday finally got a pic of a piliated (sp?) woodpecker.
    [​IMG]

Everyone have a wonderful day & stay warm !!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  2. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    Wow! Chica, are you right there on the bayou? Amazing pics! LOL, poor Daffy does look like, "Hey, what the heck happened to my bath water? This sucks!"

3. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    We had some freezing last night. It's crazy cold out right now. We'll be in the 20s the next couple of nights. We'll be back up to the 60s by Sunday though.

Great pictures!

4. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    Hi Lynn, yes that's in our front yard, our home is 50 yards or so from the bank. It's cold today, but I really enjoy the cold weather.
    It was so funny to see the ducks reaction this morning... [​IMG] there was about half inch of ice on the top of the pool

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    As always, great pictures! And wow on capturing the woodpecker! I only see them rarely up here and it is always when they are flying by too fast!
    I didn't realize it could get to freezing in your area! Is that usual for your winters?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  6. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    I feel so sorry for poor Daffy -- but my ducks sure know how he feels every morning I have to break the ice up in the kiddie pool so my kids can at least get their faces washed LOL
    I just keep telling them it will warm up soon ( I dont think they believe me as they stand on a huge iceberg that was thier bathwater

Julie

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Cool pics....

I've been changing ice out for water for MONTHS it seems.
    Last night was a cold one, we got down to ZERO !!! Wind chill of -13.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I was kinda SCARED to open the coop this morning, the low in the coop was 2. Chickens were FINE, I was so happy to hear them before I opened the door!

8. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    Yeah. It did get cold. I'm like, where did my 70 degrees go?! We had to keep the water dripping, too. Thankfully we're not right on the bayou.. But we have a five acre pond like 30 yards from the house, does that count? LOL. We had ice on the driveway, too. I found that out the hard way. [​IMG]

9. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    I love the duck and the wood pecker pictures. Poor duck looks so confused. The first time I saw a pileated woodpecker it was being chased by an owl in daylight. It was so cool to see such a big bird, and then see the great horned owl right behind it.

10. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:Ouch! I slipped a couple of times yesterday helping H fix a gate, but I didn't land on my butt, I managed to catch my footing and keep my balance!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by