the big day

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kimberleymichele, Sep 5, 2010.

1. kimberleymichele

kimberleymichele Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    You would have thought we laid it ourself! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    Very nice orange yolk on that egg, congratulations. What breed layed it and how old?

3. kimberleymichele

Apr 7, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    We are 95% sure it's from our buckeye. She was born on Easter. The other option is the barred rock, same age, but she doesn't look ready to lay yet.

4. elizabethlongwood

elizabethlongwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    longwood, florida
    Your girls are the same age as two of ours. We have heard a couple of egg songs and one chicken is "squatting", so we think it'll be pretty soon. It's exciting to hear about all these other pullets the same age as ours starting to lay. Has it started cooling off a bit where you live?

5. kimberleymichele

Apr 7, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    Yes, thank heavens! Finally turned off the AC after a scorching summer. BTW, we haven't had a second egg yet, but that's okay. The girls are still talking about the first one [​IMG]

6. Jen4

Jen4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Munfordville, KY
    [​IMG] Congratulations... now you'll be driving yourself crazy looking for more everyday, atleast I did, lol

7. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I do the same thing. We are in and out of that coop four or five times a day. Mine haven't regulated to mornings yet (as I write this I am hearing the egg song [​IMG]). They're still getting into their groove.

Congrats! It's beautiful. How did it taste?[​IMG]

8. kimberleymichele

Apr 7, 2010
    Ft Wayne
    It tasted like an egg. I had started buying free range eggs at local farms at least a year ago. So, I got used to really fresh eggs. I refuse to buy grocery store eggs to compare the two [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Harlyn was a big fan!

9. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    Congrats!!! Those first eggs are so exciting...but we've been getting eggs and now different colored eggs for months...and WE ARE STILL EXCITED !!! [​IMG]

It is just so much fun!

Congrats! Hope you get many more BIG DAYS!!! [​IMG]

10. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    There's such a feeling of accomplishment. We got ours as day old chicks, managed not to lose any and now they're giving back. What a wonderful cycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by