1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

The big deal with roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LittlePriceFarm, Jul 22, 2013.

1. LittlePriceFarm

LittlePriceFarm Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Why do people not like roosters with the hens and why can I have more than one rooster? When we bought our pullets two ended up male BR and so pretty and we already have one blue copper maran rooster and possibly another on what's now 12 hens though I plan to triple that number. Will we be ok? Is it crucial to get rid of the extra roosters they crow all day but no fighting and I love their crowing and they crow to the neighbors rooster it's awesome.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Crowing

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    A ratio of more than one rooster per 10 or so hens can cause overbreeding of the hens. All this means is that the hen's backs get kind of torn up from the roosters claws. Also, a surplus of roosters and they often fight. That's the main knock on too many roosters.

3. sbrown

sbrown Chirping

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    Definitely overbreeding. I have a poor RIR and EE hen that look rough right now. Im gonna have to separate them for awhile I think

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Songster

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    So 4 roosters on 36 hens? You can try it and see how it goes but definitely watch out for fighting and over mating. The most I've had is 2 roosters (one standard and one bantam) with 5-7 standard hens. It worked out fine because the standard rooster wouldn't let him ride the hens. Now with your situation it might be different. The more roosters you have the better the chances of you having problems so if you have a lot of room you can probably get away with keeping two or three. You could try four but it's best to just get rid of one. A lot depends on the individual so you never know how it's gonna go. Good luck :)

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Everybody's experience is different. Depending on the amount of space they have available, 4 roosters for 36 hens wouldn't be bad. I have had as many as 7 mature roosters with fifty hens, but now I'm down to two roosters. They have two thirds of an acre to range freely.

Roosters may develop "mini-flocks" within the flock, which the dominant rooster allows. The dominant rooster has King's Rights to all hens, the subordinate roosters "get" to keep theirs unless the dominant one wants 'em. The subordinates will not be allowed to mount the dominant rooster's favorites.

It is The Chicken Way. If an upstart thinks he can take on the dominant roo, then there will be a fight. The fight may be as simple as screeching at each other, flaring hackle feathers, jumping at each other and a bit of pecking that pulls out feathers. No blood. Challenge over.

Or it could be an all out bloody, battle you do have to stop.

6. LittlePriceFarm

LittlePriceFarm Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    Ellettsville
    wow thanks guys i dont think the other roosters are vary sexually matuere so hes the only one mounting as of yet. and it does look pitiful! ill keep my eye out we have 5a but they dont roam the whole property.

7. LittlePriceFarm

LittlePriceFarm Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    Ellettsville
    also what are you doing with the roos you dont want!?

8. Cknldy

Cknldy Songster

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Fried, broiled, baked, grilled.....lol!

9. LittlePriceFarm

LittlePriceFarm Songster

Apr 5, 2010
    Ellettsville
    ROFL [​IMG] well we had talk about it we just didnt know if its worth the effort and time.not that i think my sweet man could kill one any how!

10. Cknldy

Cknldy Songster

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    I totally understand that one- I picture the deliciousness but have yet to butcher my own. Mr. Peck has been on the list for 5 months now, 3 of his sons have been added to the list too. Mr. Peck has attacked and been left for dead only to eyeball me for 5 months while I tell him how delicious he is going to be...yet he isn't in the freezer! The kids say to have him for Thanksgiving:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by