The big Drumstick is Headed for Camp Kenmore

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Dec 18, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Freddy is done. Lately, when I turn my back he tries to attack me. I never really ever take my eye off of him. Yesterday when I was putting the flock up he tried again to attack me I gave him the boot & he hit the side of the run. This guy is big. He served his purpose I got his off spring consisting of 16 big pullets that are big like him. I mean these pullets have legs like a roo. I'm going fishing for two days but when I get back that's it. I want to get another roo but just for breeding purposes only.
    Maybe, someone can give me some pointers on how yall do this ? I don't want the roo to live with the pullets that will soon be hens I just want him for breeding & nothing else. Then when their bred I'll either give him away are you know.

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sorry to hear about Mr. Freddy. I have experienced attack roosters about 4 times and I did the same thing that you did on several occasions and they understood where I was coming from. After that, they would run the other way when they saw me walking in the chicken yard. "Roo Rehab" worked at my place.

3. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:I've been trying to rehab him but he won't cooperate I'll see how he is when I get back but I'll probably get rid of him. I'm going fishing at Big Lake in Louisiana .

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I've been trying to rehab him but he won't cooperate I'll see how he is when I get back but I'll probably get rid of him. I'm going fishing at Big Lake in Louisiana .

You're coming my way!!! I hope that you have a great fishing trip. Post pics of your catch. Would love to see what you catch.

I hope Mr. Freddy does a 360 degree turnaround. If not, then sounds like he may be a delicious meal. Keep us posted on his behavior when you get back. I hope everything works out. [​IMG]

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    No reason to keep a mean roo plenty of nice roosters out there

6. 7L Farm

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Freddy has been around for over a year with this flock. He has a few bad habits that he taught the girls & never has flogged me but has tried. Lately, he's been trying almost dailey. I always watch my back when I'm around him because thats when he makes his move towards me. Yesterday, was the first time my boot actually made full contact into his breast & sent him flying into the wire of the run. I doubt that even after my trip that I'll keep him. Out with the axs there's no way I'd give him to another person.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by