The big girls attacked my little CW

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by colebarnhart, Jul 11, 2011.

1. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel like such a dumbass [​IMG] !!!! I have a 6wk old CW pullet that I've kept in a seperate cage inside the run area for almost a month, I didn't want her to be alone and was thinking that the flock would get used to her better with her being around them and I knew there would be some pecking order stuff, but thought once she got feathered up she would be ok, and she was for 2 days when I would check on things, but when I came home from work, her entire left side has been totally feather pecked and bleeding. I cleaned that side and put neosporin all over it and she seems fine, but........

Is there anyway she'll ever be accepted by the big girls or what should I do?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Poor baby. I try to introduce newbies when they are about the same size as the existing flock. That way they are better able to defend themselves if they need to duke it out. Good luck!

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah, that's good advice, thanks. I should've waited longer, but really thought she would be fine.

How long will it take for her to regrow the feathers?

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They'll probably regrow when she goes through her next molt to get her adult feathers. She's very pretty- don't worry, she'll be a member of the flock soon enough. Until then, since she's a loner, give her lots of love and attention. Maybe she'll turn out to be your sweetest girl. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by