The big ol' mean drake is gone, egg viability question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CynthiaM, May 21, 2008.

1. CynthiaM

CynthiaM Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    I had a nasty Musvovy drake that just wouldn't calm down. His predecessor was a beautiful and calm dude. Finally, after several pinches on my calf and lessons I tried to teach him, we had to give him up to a home where it didn't matter if he wanted to be nasty or not. He was an enormous drake, too big to let hang around anymore.

We have hatched young ones from his genetics. They are about 3 weeks old now.

I have been gathering the eggs from the other Muscovy ducks and need to seriously know how long the eggs would remain fertile, once the drake was removed.

Any gurus out there that may have an answer to this odd question. Have the best of a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Welcome from one Cynthia to another! [​IMG] With chickens, it's about two weeks, stretching to three sometimes. Not sure with ducks, though. I'm sure someone will pop in to give you the correct answer, though.

3. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Thats about right but do you really want to continue on his trait?

4. CynthiaM

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    The idea is not to carry on his traits, I got an impression that these nasty traits are passed on through the drakes, not the hens, right?

I want the eggs for incubation for raising for meat. So I really need to know how long the eggs remain fertile once the drake is removed, so I am not putting duds into the incubator.

There must be someone that can will know the answer.

How long once the drake is removed do the eggs remain fertile.

The drake has been away from the ducks about since 6th of May. I have been gathering eggs since that time and have a fair number. Have a wonderful day and awesome day, Cynthia

5. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    2 weeks.

6. CynthiaM

May 21, 2008
    Webster's Corners, B.C.
    Julie, thank you, that is the answer and I will not gather any more eggs. Two weeks would have been the Monday just past, so I will not incubate those eggs I gathered since that time. We'll see how the hatch comes out in the incubator. Have a wonderful and great day, Cynthia

7. Julie08

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, that is the "rule" but as you know ducks or chickens can't read. There is a thread in here I just came across this morning that said they had eggs fertile after 4 weeks. So I guess it might not hurt to keep collecting and candle after 7 days or so. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by