The BIG question

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by poultryman17, Apr 5, 2012.

1. poultryman17

poultryman17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    West Central Ilinois
    So my wife and daughters and I (mostly I ) are raising a mixed flock of chickens, 29 in all. Have a coop that is 14' x 5 and a pen that is 15' x 15'. Wifey has commented couple of times about having ducks. I have raised chickens before but never had ducks. I have heard that ducks are messy. My question is "how messy"? What eggzactly does that mean. Do ducks co habitate well with chickens? Is it best to have two? Do i have enough room for a couple of ducks? Are the eggs yummy? Really just need a little guidance for this decision. Easter is really close and thinking might be a nice surprise if I am convinced it would go well. The neighbors have a couple of little ones and I need to admit they are awfully cute. Someone please help make up my mind. Thanks a ton

2. PetesMom

PetesMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    Columbia County, NY
    Our ducks were in with the chickens and they were fine with them. The thing you have to watch is a sexually flustered drake because he will try to mate with the chickens

3. poultryman17

Mar 24, 2012
    West Central Ilinois
    i suppose that would be messy!! haha. thanks for the info.[​IMG]

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009

5. poultryman17

Mar 24, 2012
    West Central Ilinois
    Would the drake actually get the job done on a chicken? Does this harm the chicken since its a drake. Just thinking biological design here?

6. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    A drake can kill a hen if he mates her

7. poultryman17

Mar 24, 2012
    West Central Ilinois

Thanks Kevin, Glad i am asking these questions now rather than later when its too late. Really dont want to be walking in mud to do chores. Dont want a mating issue and end up with a Chuck or a Dicken. haha. thans for the great info. Im thinking maybe i should build a different pen if i want ducks. The girls are wanting to show some of the chickens for 4H and guessing a duck would cause some problems ie. dirty chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by