1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the biggest egg ever

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonomachicks, Sep 16, 2011.

1. sonomachicks

sonomachicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    My year old Welsummer has been laying big eggs ever since she started it; however, a couple of weeks ago, she laid two huge eggs that we've never seen before. They are about 3in tall and 2in wide. I thought they were double yolks, but no. My other BR hen is laying normal size eggs, even she eats more than the Welsummer. Do you ever have an egg that big?[​IMG]

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG] And I thought our double yolkers were big...

3. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Ouch!

4. Dave1979m

Dave1979m Just Hatched

Sep 16, 2011
    Do they taste as good as they look?

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I got a 3 1/4 x 2 inch egg from a Barred.Still got the pic on my phone. Someone posted a pic here that was a 3 1/2 inch by 2 1/4. Dont know how they do it.[​IMG]

6. sonomachicks

sonomachicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Quote:I thought they were a bit of flat in taste, and lighter in color and less thick (kind of runny).

7. Echolalia

Echolalia Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    San Francisco
    Quote:No, but I had this mutant egg last week:

[​IMG]

The one in the middle is Rosie's normal egg, the one on the right is a store bought egg. The one on left measured about 3.75 inches long. It was freaky.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by