1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Biggest Loser

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Xtina, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Xtina

Xtina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    I hate to admit it, but I just love this show. It's the only reality TV I watch, and truthfully, it makes me feel stupid to enjoy even this show, but I can't help it. It's just so inspiring! I love seeing how hard they try and how great they feel after losing that weight. And I love seeing the before and after pictures.

So I thought we should have a Biggest Loser thread here at the BYC. The most recent season ended last night but there's another one around the corner! After losing all that weight, Danny looks just a tiny bit like Adrien Brody and Rudy looks so much like Bob now! I think they both got very handsome, and that makes me happy. I was predicting that Rudy would be really good looking when he lost the weight, and I was totally right. I hope they're both able to keep it off. To kick off this thread, I want to make a list of my least favorite aspects of the show, since they really detract from my enjoyment of it. Feel free to add your own ideas!

1. I hate that anyone ever gets voted off. No one that makes it onto that show should have to go home before the goal has been met (or the season is over).
    2. I hate the product placement! It's so stupid. Extra gum and zip lock bags....it's shameless promotion that's not even integrated into the story well. I hate being marketed to.
    3. I hate how Jillian has to have an emotional breakthrough with every person. Yes, weight gain is highly tied to a person's emotional state, but it just feels so contrived when she's breaking down someone's psyche. She's not a psychologist (I think) and it's silly to put someone's emotional development into a 2-minute scene on a reality TV show.
    4. I hate the emphasis on percentage weight lost every week as a competitive thing. First of all, it's not healthy to lose so much weight so fast. The body needs to do it slowly. Additionally, it's misleading. Some weeks a player might have put on a lot of muscle, which weighs more than fat. They shouldn't be disqualified for that, because it's a good thing. Also, anyone who has tried to build their body up as a project has probably read about how the body needs resting weeks in order to achieve the best results. the show doesn't implement those, and I think it should. It's important to teach America these things if there's any hope of us becoming a healthier nation, which is the show's stated goal. Also, you know some players are going to resort to things like not drinking water on the day of the weigh-in, which is very bad for them. And on that note, the girl who won the at-home weight loss challenge looked like she had used methamphetamine to do it. She was totally cracked out. Focusing on the percentage and making it competitive like that seems really harmful. A little competition is a good thing, but the way they do it just seems horribly ill-advised to me.

I think that's all I can think of for now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by