The biggest pest on the farm!!!Graphic

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 7L Farm, Jan 8, 2011.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I'm here in Texas & the hogs are by far our worst pests. They tear our hay fields up to no end. I caught these the other day & gave the hogs to my now best freinds to process & feed their family's. Hogs in Texas are out of control. [​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Youch! Great job with the pest extermination though.

What part of Texas? I'm in Houston, but from Corpus. My son lives on a ranch in Tomball. There isn't much open country around him and he hasn't mentioned wild hogs being there.

3. wood&feathers

wood&feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    E. KY
    Yum! They are indeed destructive - hard on wildlife like reptiles and birds too. good job.

4. lighthawk

lighthawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Gobles MI
    The state of Michigan recently made it legal to kill any ferral pig anywhere in the state that hunting is permitted. No need for a license or permit. They want to prevent that from happening here. The law was passed as a direct result of what has happened in your state.

5. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Same "no- laws" here on pigs. They are ruining ALOT of grazing. I've been trapping,but not as much as last year. they are DELICIOUS! [​IMG]

6. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooh... looks like a lot of mighty fine eating there! My Dad lives in the western part of La. and feral hogs have been a real problem there for years. They really do a number on his Winter rye grass fields. But now with the hard times in this country folks are thinning them out some ( think bacon & hams)

7. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    There's a problem with them in TN too. That's one of the first thing we were told about when we moved here. We haven't seen any but our neighbors 5 miles away have a horrible time with them.

Laurie

8. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    Quote:I heard about that, a guy just killed a wild hog right near us in columbiaville!! I didnt realize they were here much less this close to us!!

9. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Yes, here in Texas no hunting license required to kill hogs. You can also spot light them at night. We usually call the game warden & let him no that will be out hunting hogs at night so he won't think we are hunting deer. Last year we bought a suppressor for our hog rifle which has helped out its legal as well to eliminate these pest . I built two big hog traps on our proberty & have caught my share.It seems that you catch them & they'll leave for awhile & then come back. They are very tasty but hard to clean. I'm gonna build a big smoker & start making bacon sausage etc. I killed this hog a few years back he weighed over 300 lbs.[​IMG]

10. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Great job on getting some meat for the freezer. I have two in mine right now and hoping to add a few more. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by