1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the biggest raccoon I have ever seen **caution graphic pics**

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bethandjoeync, Apr 1, 2010.

1. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Well we knew that this would eventually be a problem, but didn't realize how "large" it could be.

my husband went out onto the front porch late one night last week, and heard something rustling in the leaves across the driveway, and then he saw this huge raccoon. I personally have never seen a live raccoon in real life, but I knew it would happen sooner or later. so Joey came inside and grabbed then loaded his 12 gauge as I watched this mammoth raccoon creep around our house into the backyard and sniffing around the run (I was hoping my girls wouldn't run outside with the back flood lights on). and we had to take care of this problem. so he shot him. he was huge (as you can see in the pictures) hopefully there won't be another one for a while.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chickens 1-----raccoon 0

2. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news...but where there is one there will be more. The spouse, all the kids and aunts and uncles to be precise. Be on the look out.

3. Britney

Britney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Do they normally get that large? The ones that we get around here are much smaller

4. Knight Hawk Ranch

Knight Hawk Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2007
    Labelle, Florida
    I live in SW Florida and the ones around here get to the 20-30 pound range.
    I can't really tell how big that one is. If it was a male, it wasn't done growing (well it is now but before you dispatched it).

5. cliff47d

cliff47d New Egg

Mar 6, 2010
    i would bet there will be more...i have caught over twenty raccoons and even more possums in live traps next to my chicken coops (and one skunk pee uuuw) . i would recommend live traps..they work great !!

6. Koolduck

Koolduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2009
    Central KY
    I've gotten some pretty big males in the haveaheart trap...and no I dont have a heart for coons,possumns,skunks....the trap goes into the rainbarrel for a time. Did you hubby "save" the tail?....very Daniel Boone-esque of him![​IMG]

7. underground chickenman

underground chickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Orlando, Florida
    I hear they are good eating. Seriously. Never tried myself. Yet.

UGCM

8. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    Quote:yes he did [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

this was definitely a male, he had a huge scar on his back from something. and as for more around, I wouldn't doubt it. we have one live trap, but would probably end up catching more stray cats than racoons lol what a waist of time that would be. but we have a dog outside (that night we didn't because it had been raining) so hopefully she would at least bark or something (she barks at everything else that's for sure). Joey said that while holding it up, it felt like around 20-25 lbs (sans tail at that point).

9. humm-n-cluck ranch

humm-n-cluck ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    San Diego
    holy smokes!!!![​IMG]

10. berriesncream

berriesncream Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Yep. I bet you will have more. We killed a male last year, then a few weeks later the female and found the babies in a tree a few days later. Sad, but not too sad cause they're not nice!!

And underground chickenman - my vet asked me recently if I'd ever eaten 'coon. When I said, "No, does it taste like chicken (haha)?" He responded, "Nah. Tastes more like squirrel. You like squirrel?" Seriously.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by