The Birds and the Bee's

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cmcgoun, Sep 11, 2008.

1. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello!
    I was thinking about raising honey bees in my backyard about 50 feet from the chickens, do you guys think that the bees would attack the chickens, and also if you raise honey bee's can you PM me because I have me some questions!

Thanks!!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  2. Alpha Roo

Alpha Roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Apple Valley, CA
    Are your birds free ranged or coop'd? Chickens peck at everything. If they had access to hives it may be disaterous for the birds. If they are in a coop, a few bees will become treats. But more than a few could cause problems for them.

3. cmcgoun

cmcgoun Chillin' With My Peeps

They are in a large pen and wont have access anywhere near the hive

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Talk to Reinbeau, she will have the answers to your questions! I plan to have bees next year as well but they will be much closer to the coop than you plan. I don't anticipate any problems.

5. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a colony(not sure if that's what you call a group) of bees that took up residence in a hollow oak this spring. It has been so interesting learning about honey bees! We had a bee keeper come over and see if they could be removed(it's right in our front yard next to the porch, ugh) but the only way to remove them was to kill them. He told me they were Italian. I just can't kill them so we have learned how to live with each other in harmony, lol.
    Bee's are fascinating, you should have a lot of fun learning about them!

6. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I have three active hives within 20' of the front of our coop. There have been absolutely no problems. The chickens have checked out the hives and didn't get stung. I think they ate one or two and that's it - honeybees are frequently crawling on clover when the girls are out foraging and they ignore them now. There are many, many beekepers on the Beemaster forums that also keep chickens. There are no conflicts. I think they make a great combo, I am painting the sign in my head "Bit of Earth Farm" selling fresh Eggs, Honey and Veggies" [​IMG]

7. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I noticed with my chicks/chickens that they are not interested in the bees.

8. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Two active hives and 58 free ranging chickens. No problems here.

9. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    Two hives and three chickens, on a city lot. No problems at all. My beehives don't face the chicken area, so the ladies don't even get into the vicinity.

Hmm, hens and bees, I think I've got a matriarchy going!

10. 12 Acres

12 Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Oak Harbor, OH
    Quote:How did he know? Did they buzz with Italian accents? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by