THE BIRDS! THE BIRDS!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jjakaus, Jul 31, 2013.

1. jjakaus

jjakaus Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    wyandotte, mi
    All of a sudden the birds, mostly sparrows, have started giong INTO the coop to eat the chicken food. I stopped putting food in the run for this reason. I have a small coop with an attached 9x9 run. This is the only place the chickens go. We dont have many predators, so I usually keep the side that is open, open. They have eaten all the grass, so I dont know that they would get enough food if I tried to only feed them in the evening or early morning by closing up the coop and keeping them in. I do give them kitchen scraps and dried cut grass daily. Any suggestions? I have pics so you can get an idea of the layout. Thanks!!!

[​IMG]
    The coop. There is an opening between so they have access to both sides all day. One side in for roosting and laying and one side has food ( the black feeder attached to wall) and water.

[​IMG]
    The yard. It is covered from the back wall until just before the open door with sun cloth. In theory I could cover the whole thing, but I think it would cut air flow and that concerns me.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Do a search for sparrow traps. Might be the solution to your problems.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    With such a small run, aviary cloth might be the ticket. It is netting you could use to cover the area.

Chris

4. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

You could try a treadle feeder. The weight of the chicken(s) would be enough to open it for food, but not a sparrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by