The birth of the CX [ circa 1948 ]

SteveH

Songster
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
West/Central IL
Two YouTube videos of The Chicken of the Future contest of 1948 . The winner was a Red Cornish X New Hampshire Red ; and a star was born
lol.png
{ Some of that " latest technology " equipment can be pretty useful for the small or hobby breeder today , wouldn't mind having one of those brooders again }

Last edited:

TimG

Songster
11 Years
Jul 23, 2008
Maine
Scrawny chickens in those clips! Another reminder that the roaster most of us are used to seeing in the grocery store is nothing like the chicken of yesteryear.
_______

I like the note at the end: "housewives everywhere are enjoying". It reminded me of an experience I had in the local grocery store just a few months ago. With a certain minimum purchase, the store was giving away an in-house recipe magazine. The lady in my checkout aisle asked me if my wife had gotten one yet. "I doubt it" I said since my wife rarely sets foot in the grocery store.

"Well, take this one to her" she said.

"What if she doesn't cook?" I asked.

Her reply: "Then you can give it to someone else's wife."

She was serious.

SteveH

Songster
10 Years
Nov 10, 2009
West/Central IL
They ARE scrawny looking chickens compared to what we have in the groceries today aren't they . On the other hand they aren't roasters , they are twelve and a half week old fryers , set back two weeks due to an epedemic that swept the pens , and most are purebred dual purpose breeds . They're HUGE compared to the bulk of those same breeds today unless you're looking at a show strain ; and what show breeder is keeping records of disease resistence , feed conversion , egg production , carcass quality , and flavor today ? Those people wanting to get back to basics with a flock of good DPs are at quite a disadvantage with the stock available , but it IS possible to redevelope a breed or a crossbreed to suit that purpose and I applaud those who are doing so .

Top Bottom