The black copper marans that weren't??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by onwingsofdragons, Feb 26, 2014.

1. onwingsofdragons

onwingsofdragons Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    North Texas
    So, I have black copper marans. I just hatched out my second small batch of chicks. The first batch was full of everything a black copper marans clutch should be. This second batch... not so much?? I don't understand! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Oops, looks like someone hopped a fence or some eggs might have gotten mixed up to me. I especially love that last little black chick with the feathered legs!

3. onwingsofdragons

onwingsofdragons Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    North Texas
    I like the ONE that looks like a marans too lol! Our neighbors don't have chickens and our marans are the only ones laying, besides my duck but there's no mixing up those eggs! Our only other breed is standard cochin, but they aren't a month old yet. I just don't get it.

4. The Farm

The Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2013
    Luther, OK
    Are you sure your breeding stock are not mixed?

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I've seen black coppers often hide wheaton genes, it's very frustrating for the breeders. Other than that, though, I got nothing.

6. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I just hatched out my first batch of Marans from fertile eggs from a breeder, so I am definitely NOT an expert.

She was very careful to explain to me that with the BCM eggs, I could still get a number of colors popping up, and leg feathers or no leg feathers.

I forget what the percentages were, but Marans is Marans and the colors are present even in the Black Copper because the lines we have in the US all come from a small number of birds.

There was a small chance I might get a Wheatan, but only a very small chance.

Unless someone hopped the fence, you could simply have some throw back or under pigmentation.

This article says it pretty well and agrees with what the breeder was telling me:
    http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/5-3/marans_chickens_layers_of_chocolate_brown_eggs/

Lady of McCamley

7. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    Like stated above, its a throw back to wheaten.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by