1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Finally, it's done! Well... I still need to do the top netting and some touch up painting, but the chickens are officially in. Not that the little ingrates are happy about it, but they are officially moved. Sigh.

[​IMG]

Step by step pictures on are on my BYC page. This is the final product though. I am very happy with how it turned out. I'm really happy that it's done. [​IMG]

2. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    LOVE IT! [​IMG] You did good!

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Very cute![​IMG]

4. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    You just gave me a better way to do my roof!!! THANKS!! Off to calculate how many 1x's I'll need......

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    You are welcome. What I discovered is that the roofing isn't stiff enough to stay flat between 1x4s. It dips down. I waffled between just nailing it down in between the 1x4s or adding more 1x4 strips perpendicular to the rafters. I went the lazy route and just nailed that sucker down. It seems to be working okay. Truthfully, those 1x4s ended up being more decorative than functional.

Glad y'all like it! I'm pretty please with it, especially since I built it all by myself. Go middle-aged woman power! [​IMG]

6. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I was going to build a frame with 2x4s and add the roofing panels, then add the angled posts and then figure out how to attach from there. Now I'm going to add the screened vents like you have in front and just nail everything else on... much cheaper and easier this way, and I think I have all but the 1 2x4x6 I'll need. Whoo hoo!!

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    If it helps, I put step by step pictures and info my on BYC coop page.

I totally stole the window idea from the guy that built the big red chicken house with clerestory windows along the top. Mine's not big enough for windows, but I liked the screened opening. It'll help with ventilation and light both. Come winter I'll plastic over most of it to help with temperatures.

8. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

Looking nice!!

How large is your run?
    Could you post a pic of your run?

I'm showing my DF pics of runs, so he'll understand what exactly I'd like.

9. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Love it!

You really did a nice job. I know how hard it is to build something all by yourself.

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Very impressed - great job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by