The Blue Mystery Egg Whodunnit…

Sandwitch

Chirping
Oct 27, 2022
Hi!
Today I need some help solving the mystery of a second blue egg…..
We have cameras set up to help us identify who’s laying what which should make things easy right? Wrong… We still have a couple egg mysteries on our hands…
Our chickens are from hoovers hatchery (the colored egg assortment) they didn’t tell us what we actually got just what was possible. We in theory have three hens laying and three not. They are all about 6 months old.

Right now our first hen who laid is Misty and hers are blueish (which is fitting since we believe she’s a prairie bluebell egger).
Goldie and Goose we are also almost positive have started laying. They lay green eggs (they are probably an olive Egger and a starlight green egger) every once in awhile.

Now here’s where it starts to get a bit tricky. The other day we got two blue eggs. Which was strange…. So we figured we forgot to check the compartment thing meaning it was a couple days old from one of the few days Misty didn’t lay.
Except today we also got two blue eggs.
Which leaves Widow…. The thing is we were pretty sure she was some type of maran. Most likely a French black copper maran (which was an option from the colored assortment). We did see Widow today on the cams sitting in one of the nesting boxes where we later found a blue egg. So our first thought was “Huh weird she must be sitting on Misty’s egg” since Widow should lay chocolate brown looking eggs. But then we found another blue egg in the coop exactly where we had seen Misty on cams digging a nest to sit in for awhile (we took the straw from the nesting box and so shes started laying elsewhere the past two days in protest lol). Now theoretically on the cam we did see one of the Easter eggers over by Misty’s hole but not for long enough and unless the camera just didn’t start recording even with a new chicken arriving and leaving It’s just not likely. Goldie at one point did go into the nesting box where we found a blue egg however we don’t think she laid today since we didn’t get any green eggs. She just ironically went into each nesting box to sit in (maybe to test?). Including the nesting box Widow was in which she funnily enough did with Widow already occupying it. Kinda like a bunk bed lol.
So my current main theory right now is that Widow may actually be some other breed of chicken… but as you can likely tell from my rambling I’m pretty stumped on what’s happening.

TL;DR basically what breed is this chicken and did this chicken lay this egg.

The Egg of Question:

The egg of question

The Main Suspect:
The suspect

71689816-02F8-4E6A-97B1-49FC0A01B8C2.jpeg
^An extra older photo of Widow to show off her beautiful colors.
625BF0A8-4BA8-4694-990B-AF3FDC5C88C7.jpeg
^Here’s the color variety of eggs we’ve been receiving
256D5C2A-46B7-4E93-BF21-A03EC8134D68.jpeg
^Here’s a more recent pic with albeit worse lighting

Hi!
Today I need some help solving the mystery of a second blue egg…..
We have cameras set up to help us identify who’s laying what which should make things easy right? Wrong… We still have a couple egg mysteries on our hands…
Our chickens are from hoovers hatchery (the colored egg assortment) they didn’t tell us what we actually got just what was possible. We in theory have three hens laying and three not. They are all about 6 months old.

Right now our first hen who laid is Misty and hers are blueish (which is fitting since we believe she’s a prairie bluebell egger).
Goldie and Goose we are also almost positive have started laying. They lay green eggs (they are probably an olive Egger and a starlight green egger) every once in awhile.

Now here’s where it starts to get a bit tricky. The other day we got two blue eggs. Which was strange…. So we figured we forgot to check the compartment thing meaning it was a couple days old from one of the few days Misty didn’t lay.
Except today we also got two blue eggs.
Which leaves Widow…. The thing is we were pretty sure she was some type of maran. Most likely a French black copper maran (which was an option from the colored assortment). We did see Widow today on the cams sitting in one of the nesting boxes where we later found a blue egg. So our first thought was “Huh weird she must be sitting on Misty’s egg” since Widow should lay chocolate brown looking eggs. But then we found another blue egg in the coop exactly where we had seen Misty on cams digging a nest to sit in for awhile (we took the straw from the nesting box and so shes started laying elsewhere the past two days in protest lol). Now theoretically on the cam we did see one of the Easter eggers over by Misty’s hole but not for long enough and unless the camera just didn’t start recording even with a new chicken arriving and leaving It’s just not likely. Goldie at one point did go into the nesting box where we found a blue egg however we don’t think she laid today since we didn’t get any green eggs. She just ironically went into each nesting box to sit in (maybe to test?). Including the nesting box Widow was in which she funnily enough did with Widow already occupying it. Kinda like a bunk bed lol.
So my current main theory right now is that Widow may actually be some other breed of chicken… but as you can likely tell from my rambling I’m pretty stumped on what’s happening.

TL;DR basically what breed is this chicken and did this chicken lay this egg.

The Egg of Question:

View attachment 3353285
The Main Suspect:
View attachment 3353283

View attachment 3353284
^An extra older photo of Widow to show off her beautiful colors.
View attachment 3353286
^Here’s the color variety of eggs we’ve been receiving
View attachment 3353287
^Here’s a more recent pic with albeit worse lighting
Forgot to add a screenshot of what possible breeds they listed we might get sorry bout that!
515E0BDC-86C5-4350-A4E6-701D606C2CF4.png

Wouldn't surprise me at all if she was a prairie bluebell egger. Or an americana, but I can't really comment on that cause I don't own any of those.

Looks like she has a pea comb, and is not totally black on her body and tail (dark chestnut, or chestnut highlights?), also she has black feet (or black washed feet is also common), is small in body size, and triangular in body shape when viewed from above. All signs of PBB egger. I've seen 50-100 PBB chicks (two batches the hatchery sent to Rural King), and currently own six adult chickens, originally I had two of most of the colors of chick. From that plus what I've seen on here, they have a wide variety of body colors, shapes, and look to be mixed from a variety of different breed/mixed-breed parent chickens. Pea comb is strongly tied to blue egg gene, and seems to be the only characteristic all the PBBs have in common (they may cull the non-pea comb chicks, I don't know?). One of my PBB lays an egg so pale we can barely tell it's blue and not white, most of them lay a light powder blue, and one of them lays a greenish blue egg - this is why I think the parents are mixes - that greenishness has to come from a brown egg gene somewhere.

My PBB took a while to lay, I get 3 roughly large size eggs from 5 producing chickens most days of the week. They're fun, curious birds that can be flighty, sweet to people or totally scared of them, and supposedly are good at free-ranging/foraging. They're my lightest chickens (compared to my BO and ISA browns), and some still fly regularly across the coop. They vary in body size and shape quite a bit, and can be like the Starlight Green eggers or significantly smaller once grown, depending on the chicken.

Enjoy your gorgeous chicken!

She looks like she has Javanese Bantam blood in her ( long tail) which would go with the blue egg color, is she kind of small?

Javanese bantams are uncommon in the US and wouldn't come from Hoover's hatchery, which is a mass-market provider. :)

She is the smallest of our big girls. We have slightly younger silkies that are almost all (minus mini rooster) smaller than her.

Marans are big girls with large single combs. She's probably an Olive Egger of some kind since they often have FCM blood.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if she was a prairie bluebell egger. Or an americana, but I can't really comment on that cause I don't own any of those.

Looks like she has a pea comb, and is not totally black on her body and tail (dark chestnut, or chestnut highlights?), also she has black feet (or black washed feet is also common), is small in body size, and triangular in body shape when viewed from above. All signs of PBB egger. I've seen 50-100 PBB chicks (two batches the hatchery sent to Rural King), and currently own six adult chickens, originally I had two of most of the colors of chick. From that plus what I've seen on here, they have a wide variety of body colors, shapes, and look to be mixed from a variety of different breed/mixed-breed parent chickens. Pea comb is strongly tied to blue egg gene, and seems to be the only characteristic all the PBBs have in common (they may cull the non-pea comb chicks, I don't know?). One of my PBB lays an egg so pale we can barely tell it's blue and not white, most of them lay a light powder blue, and one of them lays a greenish blue egg - this is why I think the parents are mixes - that greenishness has to come from a brown egg gene somewhere.

My PBB took a while to lay, I get 3 roughly large size eggs from 5 producing chickens most days of the week. They're fun, curious birds that can be flighty, sweet to people or totally scared of them, and supposedly are good at free-ranging/foraging. They're my lightest chickens (compared to my BO and ISA browns), and some still fly regularly across the coop. They vary in body size and shape quite a bit, and can be like the Starlight Green eggers or significantly smaller once grown, depending on the chicken.

Enjoy your gorgeous chicken!
I think you are right about her being a PB! She is quite small and the pea comb is a bit odd especially if she had been a Maran! Misty and her are our only pea combers which makes sense if it’s common in blue egg layers. It’s so hard to tell with them because of the ranges of colors they can be lol. They are also both smaller good free ranging ladies who fly quite often.

I think you are right about her being a PB! She is quite small and the pea comb is a bit odd especially if she had been a Maran! Misty and her are our only pea combers which makes sense if it’s common in blue egg layers. It’s so hard to tell with them because of the ranges of colors they can be lol. They are also both smaller good free ranging ladies who fly quite often.
The PBB are specifically selected or bred to have the pea comb (pea comb is dominant, occurs with the blue egg gene for araucana-based mixes), but each pea comb is quite different than the other, and they all look a bit weird once full grown. I think it has to do with the PBBs being a mix, basically a fancy version of easter egger, that is why there's a lot of variation. But Widow's pea comb caught my attention because it looks just like one of my black PBB's combs (mine's currently laying too). Their combs were, to me, surprisingly big and red once they started laying.

[FYI, Whiting True Blues are an actual breed known for blue eggs and single comb (recessive), and they breed true because they're a breed and not a mix like the PBBs, but that's not on your list of possibilities.]

Back
Top Bottom