The BRavest Pony's hero: The toughest horse in the world

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by welsummerchicks, Jul 18, 2011.

1. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Well evidently my other horse, the diva of the barn, who thinks the bravest little pony in the world is a PUTZ, got cast.

Really bad. We found blood and hair on her stall walls, and her hocks looked absolutely godawful. I thought she was finished.

We loaded her up and took her to our favorite vet, and were in for the surprise of our lives.

THose hocks were pretty badly banged up, but no fracture and no ligament or tendon damage. Her xrays were perfect.

Evidently, when she was cast, she struggled some....and then figured out to push herself away from the wall with her front legs and get herself uncast, cool as a cucumber.

The huge horrific looking swelling of the hocks was due to a chemical in the oak that she reacted very badly to...incredible. Her hocks are unharmed, though she may have a permanently capped hock(meaning the tip or point of the hock may be permanently thicker), and we have to give her a lot of medication for swelling, and lots and lots of topical and oral meds to prevent infection. She'll need a lot of care for the next couple days, and lots of moving around to prevent the swelling from settling in.

There must be an angel sitting on our shoulder today. That's all I can say. Those hocks looked so horrible I thought we were done. God bless her soul.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I'm so glad to hear that she will be ok! And kudos to her for staying calm! Will you move her to a new stall because of the wood?

3. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    No, I'm going to panel her stall so that wood is covered up. It's our own farm so we can cushion and cover the walls however we want.

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

I'd get some anti-casting strips in there, too. When I was in college, the barns had these in every stall. You'd probably have to adjust them to pony height. [​IMG]

http://northcoastpets.com/anti_cast.htm

5. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Phew, close call!

6. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    "You probably have to adjust them to pony height"

She's not a pony; I only have one pony.

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Oh I guess you just called her a pony? I do that to my 4 horses too--but I thought I was the only one! [​IMG]

8. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    No, I don't call her a pony. I have a gelding pony, and 2 horses, a gelding and a mare. THe mare got hurt. I said she thinks the pony is a putz:

"my other horse, the diva of the barn, who thinks the bravest little pony in the world is a PUTZ, got cast"

My mare is a big, big girl.

We call her Madame Lasagne, Missy, Herself, and Her Amazingness, and Her Royalness and Anne Bolyn and many other things, but if she ever caught anyone calling her a pony she'd sling em into the next county.

She HATES the pony. She lets my other horse admire her from afar, but it's all look but don't touch. She is the diva's diva's diva.

9. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Picturing her flinging someone into the next county! [​IMG] LOL

10. welsummerchicks

Jul 26, 2010
    She has a lawn chair that she is in the habit of flinging - she can fling it a LONG way. She also is very good at 'skipping' mounting blocks - she can skip 'em like a rock on a pond.

She does not have any interest in any 'horse toys' we buy - it has to be something she is not allowed to have.

I put a fly sprayer on top o the tack room ceiling - she stood up on her hnd legs and stretched up and got it in her mouth and pulled it down.

She also picks up the longe whip and nods her head up and down, 'Listen to me! I'm the new riding teacher!'

She also rips loose a piece of the centaur fence and shakes it up and down. I repaired it every day for a while - i finally gave up.

She is an absolute trip.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by