The Brick Chick House - loads of pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by WestTexasFarmboy, Mar 26, 2009.

1. WestTexasFarmboy

WestTexasFarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Wilson, Texas
    I have been working on this for several months. It has a lot of history and character, I hope you like it...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=19450

I still have roosts to build and a run, but for the most part, I am ready for the chicks when they get here June 23 (or so). I got a LOT of ideas off of these posts, from a lot of nice people. Thanks to all. It's not fancy, but it is surely one of a kind [​IMG]!

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I love it! How cool that you can incorporate family history into your chickens' new home; you should be really proud of your efforts :)

3. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i think it's great. i love the signs inside and the graffiti. do you know any of the history of the building ?

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I think your chooks will be happy.

Are you going to put in electric power?

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    That is a great building.

Was that an old iron bed in the photos? You should clean that up, sand it and have it painted with enamel if it has not rusted through. Those old iron beds cost a fortune when you go looking for one. I have a full sized one from my stepfathers grandparents. I wouldn't part with it for love or money. [​IMG]

6. J&KV

J&KV Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2008
    West Georgia
    Your coop looks great and i think your chicks are going to love it![​IMG] Great job with the renovation. [​IMG]

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Very cool!

8. WestTexasFarmboy

WestTexasFarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2008
    Wilson, Texas
    Yes that's an old iron bed. It is in really good shape, it's been in there a long time. Painted red, no rust whatsoever. I used to use it at deer camp but it was too much of a hassle to take a mattress and box spring. I need to do something with it, no room in the house currently, but I like this old stuff, so I'll figure something out for it.

To answer another question, I really do not know much of the history, but we have a family reunion coming up and I want to ask my aunt, who would know. She used to live on this land in the 60s. Old family farm and all that. When it was "vacant" in the late 70s/early 80s, my uncles would all sneak over here and drink whiskey and I still find old bottles (darnit all EMPTY tho) tucked in places. There's one in this buildiing, hid out in a little closet. Also, onece when tilling a garden area, I hit a piece of iron. I dug and dug and finally pulled small 2 row plow out of the ground. I still use it!!

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Cool, Cool, Cool. I love it!!!

HURRAY, HURRAH, GOOOO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!

GO MIZZOU BEAT UCONN

10. HiDelight

HiDelight Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    I would live there![​IMG]

looks like a very peaceful spot