the broody bird disscusion thread

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Barred Rocks forever, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    hi i wanted to make a thread where we could disscus broody birds wich breed is the best post pics telll story about broodys and give are advice on broodys i hope people post in here [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    well right now I don't have any broody hens but i've got 10 hens so probably will soon.I've never had a broody hen before so hope to get alot of info from this thread. I have had muscovy ducks for 6years and have had to deal with broodiness with them is it simular to chickens.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. SPRING CREEK FARM

SPRING CREEK FARM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Vanleer,TN
    [​IMG] Oh, my goodness, I have 35-40 Silkies and every little hen I have is a broody one![​IMG] They are so determined to set that after awhile if you do not allow them to do so, they will just sit on a rock or nothing at all! [​IMG] I have had my Silkie hens hatch out pheasant eggs, even peafowl eggs! [​IMG] If a hen hatches out 10 or so chicks and have quite a few more eggs left to hatch out, another Silkie hen will go right to the nest and finish hatching them out. [​IMG] I have to say that my opinion is that the Silkies do an excellent job at setting, hatching and brooding babies and they will take on other breeds and adopt them as if they were their very own chicks. [​IMG]

4. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    i sold some barred rock cross chicks to a friend her cochin was attacked by a hawk so she brought it inside with the chicks and she adopted all the chicks i plan on trying this with my cochin and post pics here

5. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    My two hens that went broody... in the middle of summer... not the best time to be in a coop all day sitting on nothing [​IMG]

broody hen #1 [​IMG]
    broody hen #2 [​IMG]

6. cybercat

cybercat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2007
    Greeneville, Tn
    Subscribing to this topic. I bought my breed for it is known for going broody. I look forward to that happening this spring as we want to increase flock by another 20 chickens. We are going to be adding a special area just for broodies and their chicks to protect them from hawks till they are bigger.

7. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Good idea with this thread.

I just broke up a Cuckoo Marans pullet who is only about 7 months old. I kicked her off the nest repeatedly and even tried the ice cube trick, but she wouldn't give up.

I finally build a wire bottomed cage, and put her in there when the weather got above freezing. I let her out to roam, but when she went back to the nest, she got put back in the cage.

After about 3 days, she stopped trying to go to the nest, so I think she's broken. She stuck with it for a good 2 weeks, so I think she'll be a good mom eventually. I want her to try again, but closer to spring. She was getting quite thin just sitting there in the cold, and I don't have a place to bring her inside.

8. Critter Crazed

Critter Crazed Chicken Cuddlin' Cheesehead

Jun 22, 2009
    I have 5 silkie pullets about 6 months old and 4 have already gone broody! They are nuts. They're my first broodies so I don't really know what I'm doing. But I have pics! [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    One isn't even sitting in a nest box. Hehe.

[​IMG]
    Sky view. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Haha. [​IMG]
    That's Luna, Lillie, Frie, and Ross.

By the way I think this should be stickied!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Not a broody to be found. [​IMG]

10. Cats Critters

Cats Critters Completely Indecisive

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by