the broody coop ??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by irish hens, Mar 4, 2016.

1. irish hens

irish hens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    has anybody ideas for a broody coop ?? have ye made ones yourselves ?? let's see them ?? I have had hens for the last 5 years but am finally going to try and hatch out with my silkie but need ideas to make a broody coop for the silkie to hatch out separate to the main flock .dying to see what people have came up with [​IMG]

2. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Well here are some ideas I am going to try for my breeding pen and chicken hospital and the brooder/broody house [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Hi! I am doing this, too! Have also had chickens for 5 years and am planning to hatch this spring. We had a broody hatch her own last summer. She went broody while we were on vacation, sat on a bunch of eggs on the ground under the coop. She hatched 6, 2 were eaten by a snake the first night, one more a couple of nights later and another a week after that. Ended up with only 2! So, trying to have a safer place, renovating the grow-out coop. Interested to see what others have done, are doing!

4. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    I am going to build something like those pics above for that it's going to be a breeding pen broody pen

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I will be getting a few Silkies and bantam Cochin chicks in May to do my brooding for me. They'll have a regular small coop when not brooding (they're also going to be the bug patrol in the garden), but I thought an easy and cheap broody set up would be a used plastic child's playhouse set into a small run enclosed with wire on all sides, including top and bottom. That way between broods I could slide the house out and hose/scrub it out. Light Enough that I could drag the whole set up into the main run to integrate the chicks into the main flock.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I just let mine stay in their normal coop. If I have to separate them, I have a good sized wire cage and a medium sized dog crate they go into (which is still in the normal coop). Once the chicks hatch, I open the door and let them come out when they're ready.

7. irish hens

irish hens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    [​IMG] .i built this one yesterday .took me most of two hours .

8. Chicken Egg 17

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Nice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by