The Buffs by the bayou (pics)

bayouchica

Songster
13 Years
Jan 23, 2007
N.E. Louisiana
yesterday morning,two of my Buffs were posing for me down by the waterfront. They love the camera.

100_2744.jpg

100_2756.jpg

They're so pretty!

I showed my hubby - cause we have three little buff babies, I hope they're as pretty as your's when they grow up.

Hi Bayou - what beautiful birds and pictures - could be on a calendar or something. I'm in Covington (across from New Orleans for those who don't know) and just bought 4 baby Buffs 2 days ago. My only concern is that they are so big and fluffy and are meant to be winter hardy (something we don't have) but was wondering how well they tolerate this 100+ temp with 100% humidity for 8 months out of the year. You can see mine on a recent post under "Babies" or on my personal pages. They are so cute and I had read so much about them and how friendly they are that when I saw them at the local feed store, just had to get one or two (or 4).

Anyway - 2 questions:

1. How do yours tolerate the heat?
2. Any problems free ranging?

I have been letting my other 9 free range, in our woods, from the very beginningand have never had a problem. If you aren't experiencing problems with that bayou and all those "gators" it would be a great relief to let others know, esp. those who are afraid of free-ranging.

Personally I believe the fact that mine free range is why I don't have a problem with them and the heat - they stay in the woods, under shrubs and dig holes in the moist dirt of forest floor and stay cool. I don't ever see them panting. They've also never been sick, or had lice/mites or any other problems associated with being cooped up night/day.

Hi Ruth,
My poor Buffs are making it so far.I have several soaker hoses out in shady spots.A couple of homemade shallow wading pools, with frozen water in milk jugs. I have chilled V&E in their waterers. I check on them alot during the day.
As far as free ranging, they go down to the bayou in the mornings.It's been a long time since I've seen a gator but at a lake not too far from here they have spotted a 7 footer. I stay at home & spend alot of time outside with them.(when it's not 200 degrees outside,lol) Been blessed in three yrs. to have only lost one young pullet to a hawk.
I have two dogs that patrol the yard,that helps I think.My Cat-dog will bark at anything. She's part Catahoula & rat terrier.
Let me tell ya those Buffs are the sweetest chickens I've ever had. They are so friendly, beg to be held & scratched.One hen will come up to me & peck my leg to be picked up...
love.gif

Enjoy your babies !!
Thank yall for the compliments. Buffs are the sweetest.

Last edited:
Beautiful pictures. I like the second one the best-didn't know a chicken could look sexy.

Back
Top Bottom