The Build Begins!

HausOfEggwards

Songster
May 9, 2021
Lansing, Michigan
I've started building my run finally! So far I've got 8' posts braced with pallets. And two pallets on posts that are going to be a dry area for food/water. Still A TON to do, but I'll add more pics as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_20220403_103630090_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220403_103630090_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20220403_103605248_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220403_103605248_HDR.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
Quick update with questions! It's been too wet to set my posts with concrete so they're in need of shoring up. Any advice on that would be awesome. Also how do people attach metal fencing together at the edges. My best idea is paper clips and pliers? IMG_20220409_174416123_HDR.jpg IMG_20220409_175520080.jpg IMG_20220409_175314947_HDR.jpg IMG_20220409_175435400.jpg
Also I wound up with this water container that was converted into a shelter, and I'm thinking about converting it into a food area for my girls. If anyone has done something similar please lmk. I'd ideally like to be able to add food from the top and close the entrance at night.

Attachments

• IMG_20220409_175323424.jpg
    IMG_20220409_175323424.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 7
Looks nice and roomy.

We avoided seaming hardware cloth on Neuchickenstein by adding wood to staple the edges down to, but I'm using wire to "sew" some chicken wire together on some rednecked shelters I'm working on. I've heard of people using hog rings. There are also zipties -- UV resistant or even metal.

This is my feeder shelter. Using that contain is a great idea as long as it's got enough airflow to not be too hot in the summer (not only unpleasant for the birds but degrading the quality of the feed).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/an-outdoor-shelter-for-the-feeder-and-waterer.76487/

I didn't even think of zip ties, I'll look into those for sure! And I'll definitely keep an eye on the heat. I might just leave that project until later in the summer, I'm not in a rush to switch their feeders, but I want to make the most of that dry space.

...It's been too wet to set my posts with concrete so they're in need of shoring up. Any advice on that would be awesome. Also how do people attach metal fencing together at the edges. My best idea is paper clips and pliers?
Posts last longer without the concrete.

Shoring up is bracing... diagonals of some sort are best. Occasionally only a horizontal brace to a second post is done. Often, only the end posts need to be braced.

In your case, I don't think you will need bracing after the posts are set. Until then, I would attach wire from near the top of one post to near the bottom of the next post to make an X between each post. Also, if needed, from the top of an end post to the top of the next to end post on another of the sides. This will brace all directions except in. For that, your choices are guy wires to the outside or something stiff (2x4) at a diagonal to the inside or drive a pipe or rod down beside the post or horizontal legs perpendicular to the post at the bottom if the post.

I would choose the 2x4 on the inside; it doesn't need to go from the top of the post with the light load of a chicken fence - half way up should be overkill. "To the inside" can be one each to the north and east (of the southwest corner) or one to the northwest.

Paperclip idea for a seam is one way to do it or a small spool of wire. The downside is the ends are sharp. It shouldn't bother the chickens; it can scratch you.

Zip ties are fast and don't have sharp ends. The downside is they don't last very long, even with the UV protection.

A stay of some sort (wooden batten or metal strip or rod), in another alternative. You can either sandwhich the wire between two stays if the are strap-like or bend the end of fence around a stay. The downside is it is a lot more visually obvious there is a seam there.

I just bent the wires of one end of fencing around the wires of the other end of the fencing.

Okay whew, uhhh that is mostly over my head there. Do you have any links or resources for a total noob to start working with wire? I get the concept of an X but I have no idea how to even attempt that. Temporarily I've got T posts diagonally supporting the corners, and the pallets around the base are horizontal support for the post as we as a place to attach fencing/hardware cloth. And things have dried up a bit so the posts are less wobbly.

Back
Top Bottom