the buns and kits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by phickle, Feb 16, 2014.

1. phickle

phickle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    [​IMG]
    This is Shadow, our rex buck.

[​IMG]
    This is Sophia, our newest adult doe. Beautiful markings, but I have no idea what breed she is. My friendliest doe, she will fall all over herself to come out of the cage for some luvin's.

[​IMG]
    Snow White, aka snow-wad. Oldest doe, great mama, and I believe a California Lionhead cross. She used to be mean as a witch, but careful treatment has gotten her back to a nice friendly girl. Her kits always have the bushiest chops and mohawks. I reckon Lionhead is a dominant gene.

[​IMG]
    Peanut. So named because she was the litter runt (from Snow White) and had a large dent in her skull when born. We didn't expect her to survive, and when I found out that a defective kit is called a peanut, the name stuck. You can't tell by looking at her now, though. She is large, friendly, big, affectionate, and fat, LOL.

[​IMG]
    Sprinkles, a silver fox doe. 1st kindle mama, and it was shaky at first. She's camera shy.

[​IMG]
    The 10 day old kits. 3 survived out of a litter of 5 from Shadow and Sprinkles. She didn't nurse them when born, and despite bottle feeding, 2 died. She has since started nursing them, and they are plump bellied, healthy kits. I have a black, a dark gray, and a light gray. Only 1 has opened its eyes so far, and they are furring out nicely.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You have some beautiful rabbits. Congrats on the kits! Hopefully these three will continue to grow up healthy.

3. AnimalsRmyLife

AnimalsRmyLife Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2013
    Idaho
    Lovely rabbits! [​IMG]I'm sure your kits will grow up to be just like their proud parents!!

4. phickle

phickle Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    near Tyler, TX
    These little kits are now 17 days old. They are furred, open eyed, ears up, and quicker than a stopwatch. One ended up being black interspersed with tan/silver hair (likely name: Speckles). One is dark gray, named Popcorn, since anytime it is touched or moved, it jumps. The last is light gray and it has only a stub of a tail. For whatever reason, its tail was bitten almost off, close to the body. I'm thinking it may have been stuck, and mama pulled on it or mama thought it was the cord or something. Anyway, the wound healed nicely but the kit has only the smallest bob of fur where a tail should be. Its likely name will be Bobtail or Notail. Yeah, we're not the most creative or original people. We've had a dog named Dog, a fish named Fish, our semi-adopted cat is named Cat, it goes on and on, LOL.

[​IMG]

Here's a shot of its tiny little tail stub. How bad is that, what was mama thinkin'?
    [​IMG]

5. aprille218

aprille218 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    northern MN
    Sophia is Harlequin marked (although Harlequin is a breed it is rather rare so she's likely a cross).
    Unfortunately it's not that uncommon for mother rabbits to accidentally bite off part of a tail, ear or even leg when giving birth.
    The kits look cute post some photos when they get bigger too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by