1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The butt bounce

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Juno's Chicks, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Juno's Chicks

Juno's Chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2011
    Berks County
    Ive had my first chicks for 1 week now and man am I obsessed!

Ive noticed they have started a new behavior. They lay on their stomach and bounce. Almost like when they do the scratching for things. Its quite interesting to watch.

Anyone else see this type of behavior?

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Ithink you're describing dust bathing lol They'll do it even if they don't have any dirt to dust bathe in. They get down on their stomach and flick their wings out behind them and roll around on their stomachs [​IMG] Get them a dishpan and put some sand or peat moss in it, they'll looooove it!

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    yes and why is it that all the others stand around and pick pieces of wood ships etc off the dust bathers back? too funny, cant wait to get them outside and see them do it in real sand.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Juno's Chicks :

Ive had my first chicks for 1 week now and man am I obsessed!

Ive noticed they have started a new behavior. They lay on their stomach and bounce. Almost like when they do the scratching for things. Its quite interesting to watch.

Anyone else see this type of behavior?

[​IMG]

I have two 4 week old chicks right now. The minute I take them outside for some playtime and set them down, they go right to dustbathing. It's cute to watch.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by