1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The calendar may not say it's winter (in North America), but the weather says it is winter.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bullitt, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    It seems winter has arrived in North America, even if the calendar does not say it is winter.

It is supposed to get down to 18 degrees on Monday, Dec. 9, here in North Texas.

I know, you people farther north will laugh at that and say that is spring weather for you. But it rarely gets below 20 degrees in North Texas.

How cold is it in your area?

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It's about 14 with a wind chill of -1. BRR! I'm in northern Iowa, and 18 is still cold to me!!!!

3. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Well, I didn't really think 18 was considered spring weather for you. :)

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Southcentral mountains of New Mexico....been snowing all day. Never cracked 20 degrees. Right now it is in the low teens and supposed to get down into the single digits. At least we did not get any of that ice that the plains and mid west is getting. Hope all you guys are ok.

5. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    A white Christmas came early here in North Texas.

Everything is white outside. And it is going to stay cold for a while. It is suppose to stay above freezing on Sunday, so maybe the ice and snow in the area will melt then. Then it will get cold again.

We are supposed to have a low of 16 degrees. How do people farther north live with this for months?

I think I'll drink some hot cocoa and try to stay warm. :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -24 degrees here north of DFW. -just beautiful outdoors! It's such a rare treat to have real winter weather here. I'm going to enjoy it.....won't be around very long. .

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas

You mean 24 degrees, right? Not -24 degrees.

8. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    Yes! (I always put a "-" in front of anything that isn't a complete sentence. Oops.)

9. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Chore time it was -1 felt like -19.I think it is a couple degrees warmer now, though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by