The case of the mysterious disappearing chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by adele, Jul 24, 2011.

1. adele

adele Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    lois is missing. I haven't seen her at all today, my husband let all the chooks out this morning and fed them but I have only had 7 following me around while I did my outside chores today.

She is around 30weeks RIR, and we have been anticipating an egg from her soon as she has just started squatting and her comb is redder than her sister and all my other hens. She has vanished, I have had a good hunt all around the property for any little hidey holes she might be laying in.. but its been several hours, does a first egg really take that long to come out? She obviously decided the nest box wasn't up to her exacting standards.

I just hope that is what she is doing and she hasn't been taken by a dog or something. I was so looking forward to finally getting some eggs from her - or any of them!

2. bustermommy

bustermommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Hope she turns up. I had one that disappeared at bedtime. Had to leave her out all night. I found her the next morning perched in my dwarf apple tree fast asleep. Next night, she tried to go up there again! I don't think so! Worry me like that, will she! The sad thing is, they're not even sorry about your worry.

3. adele

adele Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    my daughter just spotted her on the driveway. no egg singing though.. goodness knows where she has been.. at least I know she is alive and well!

4. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah! I'm glad Lois is ok. My Peep did the same thing when she started laying back in May. The thing is tonight she is out again. This is the third time so it hasn't stopped now that she is laying. The first time I looked for four hours and didn't hardly sleep for crying. I've improved! They have great hiding places!

5. Team Fluffy Puffy

Team Fluffy Puffy Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Hale Center
    My splash silkie was the same way she ran away everyday for about a week.
    We finally just locked her in the hen house for a couple days and that fixed it.
    BTW her name is runaway haha

6. RescueMama

RescueMama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Croydon
    My Hildegard was same. I have no idea what she is, but she looks like a gold laced something.

Now, day one and two, I kept Hilde confined.
    Day 3, I let her out of the coop and into the run.
    As I was leaving, she slipped the gate - speedy bugger! So I left the gate open and let them all roam. That dusk, I went to close them in. 1 hen, 2 hen, 3, 4, 5 hen... no 6th hen!

I left her out without worrying that night and in the morning she showed up. She went missing again that afternoon, so I took my pug x griffon into the yard and had the dog sniff her out (she was in the garage) - I cooped her early for the night and all of the next day. So, now on day 6, I let her free range with the other hens. At dusk, I went to close to coop only to find Hilde perched on my porch setting. I took her up, popped her in the coop with the other hens.
    Day 7, I let her free range again, and at dusk she went to bed on her own with the others. That was three days ago, she's been right since.

I am looking forward to when she starts laying... sheesh!

I don't worry about my girls spending a night or two out, as long as they come back in the morning. We have plenty of perching spots in the backyard which I know they utilise.

I am so glad you found your driveway hen!

RM

7. adele

adele Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    dumb chook, shes gone again! I've done a very thorough hunt of my property, under all the bushes, up the banks, one of these days I guess I'll see her go skulking off and find out where she is hiding my eggs! Just hoping she is not laying them at the neighbors and making them breakfast instead of me!

8. adele

adele Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    EGG!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

under the hedge behind the grapevine. Last place I would have thought she would go as its very close to our neighbours dog. Pretty excited about our first egg!

9. bertman

bertman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    GREAT POST. Nice work, Lois!!

Congratulations, adele.

10. adele

adele Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2010
    thanks!

Just got home and found her coming out of there again - lo and behold another egg, a nice warm one this time! the first one must have nearly frozen in the frost this morning

So exciting!! any ideas on how I can get her to do it in the nests?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by