1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

The Cat Came Back

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ChicknBaron, Sep 12, 2012.

1. ChicknBaron

ChicknBaron Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Recently I've been seeing a cat "scouting" out the chicken run. And just now in the last two days i've found huge amounts of feathers from two different chickens in the grass. I know it was a cat because every night when i put the chickens in he is making his way for the coop and then we scare him off. The Barred Plymouth Rock looked fine but the Buff Orpington got it much worse the next day. She had blood all over her head & neck and a few lacerations on her back. I sprayed a little diluted soapy water on the BO, but i'm not sure if thats enough to keep her from getting infections tho. So to try and keep the cat from coming back i've set a live trap by the coop until i catch it, and kept the chickens locked up so it wouldnt happen any more. Mainly just want any suggestions from anybody on if i'm treating the wounds right?? PPA! (Personal Preferences Appreciated)

2. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    just keep it clean you can put antibiotic ointment ( for people) on her. she will heal quickly. You go t to work on that cat next!

3. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Oh, I'm workin on it![​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Hope you get the cat.I like to spray any open wounds with blue kote so others don't peck at the wound.

5. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    What's Blue kote? is it like sav or triple antibiotic ointment?[​IMG]

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Blue Kote is a quick-drying, protective wound dressing to treat ringworm, skin abrasions and surface wounds

7. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I haven't any injuries (thank goodness) so i can't help you there. If the life trap doesn't work, then lock the chickens up until he goes away, and take any other food sources away. obviously, you can't take ALL food away, since cats can hunt, but if the eaiser food is away, he'll move on. personal experience.

8. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    ive had them locked up for a few days, and no sign of the cat since, so i let them out this morning, they're used to always getting out and were tired of being cooped up... so hopefully it wasnt a bad decision[​IMG]

9. ChicknBaron

Sep 12, 2012
    Marysville KS
    Do you know any places i could get some??? is it very expensive???

10. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Blue Kote ? Probably a feed store or tack shop.

I thought I was nuts, but both of my roosters, at different times, had blood on their back where the tail starts, like something grabbed them. I'm thinking cat too, because I see one around , and because my cart is parked outside and has cat paw prints on the seat every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by