1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

the cat's meow

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by grandmalinda, Aug 10, 2013.

1. grandmalinda

grandmalinda New Egg

Aug 10, 2013
    My chickens have been hanging out in the garage a lot lately.. No, it's not to listen to a grunge band. They have discovered the cat's food dish and will dance under the platform where it is placed until someone relents and gives them a treat. They will then follow that person anywhere. While it is fun to have 'groupies', I worry about my 'chicks' health. Is a little cat food ok? How much is too much? Is there a healthier substitute that will have them dancing in the aisles? I already feed meal worms, and they free range during the day.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I wouldn't let them fill up on it but a little now and again shouldn't hurt them - might even give them a boost of protein.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A little bit's fine. If you don't want to give them the cat food, any grain, fruit or veggie also works well. Black oil sunflower seeds (boss) is always a hit, too.

edited for chemo-brain spelling.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by