The cause of maggots?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Snack Giver, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    Ok firstly, I appreciate all of you who helped me on Friday evening on this board. What I thought was cocci or worms ended up being maggots. My Barred Rock hen had been severly eaten away by maggots on her hind quarter. My wife and I administered 2 hours of saline baths and I tweezed hundreds of maggots away but she was too far gone and we culled her to stop her misery. Poor girl. I can't believe how cruel the maggots and this condition is.

Now I still have a flock to think about. What went wrong? How did maggots start attacking our hen's hind quarter? What can I do? Thank you everyone.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    They come from flies. They will lay the eggs on either a wound or sometimes feathers matted with poop. The eggs hatch into larvae (maggots). It's called fly strike and, as you see, it can kill. It also can be hard to see until it is severe. I am sorry you had to deal with this. It is gross and distressing!
    sharon

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Did you try the SWAT? I had a rooster that literally had a hole in his behind they were crawling in and out of. I had given him 3 baths but they kept coming back. He was about done. Then I used the SWAT and BAM they were gone. The rooster healed completely although his tail was never quite the same. It can happen to anyone. The flies are attracted to the poop and I don't know if they need a small cut to invade or not.

4. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I would have to say to keep a little soap and a hose handy. If you see any bottoms getting too poopy, I'd do a bottom wash and rinse.

5. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I have heard of them affecting other parts of the body, open wounds and so forth, under the wings. Flies will lay eggs wherever they think the maggots can feed.

6. Wildlife

Wildlife Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Mill Spring,NC 28756
    what is swat? please explain fully as we are in an emergency with our drake right now. We want to save him! WHAT IS SWAT?

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    SWAT is a topical used on horses to prevent or treat fly strike which is where flies lay eggs on the animal (eyes, open wound, etc.) Obviously, the eggs hatch and the maggots infest. I've gotten it at the Farm Supply and Pet Supply stores. Maybe Petco is still open tonight (I don't know if they have it). I see it over at Lemos Pet Supply. It's in a little blue and white tub about 2" in diameter that says "SWAT Clear Formula, Fly Repellant Ointment for Wounds and Sores". You'll find it with the horse supplies. If anyone in the neighborhood has horses, maybe you can borrow some until you can pick one up.

8. Wildlife

Wildlife Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Mill Spring,NC 28756
    Sorry to say-after MUCH washing and searching and trying to save Eli ,we determined that he was suffering too much with maggots emerging from INSIDE his body cavity from MULTIPLE places.WAY too many to treat with any ointment.Said our good-byes and did the deed just now.Wife is unconsolable.Must look at his life as having been truly WONDERFUL.A beautiful mountain stream to swim in total freedom(he CHOSE to stay with us and his TWO Beautiful Girls! Dolly the older hen has been setting on a clutch for about a week now.I'm REAL concerned now for her now,will be checking on her at FIRST LIGHT.Perhaps Eli will live on as his offspring are born . SAD DAY at our house.I'm going to take a long (and thorough) shower.Thank you all for your thoughtful advice. goodnight will check back in a.m.

9. Snack Giver

Snack Giver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Seattle
    I'm sorry for Eli. Those maggots are so cruel. I've been through the same since friday. Zelda was such a trooper she never complained as we tried to remove the hundreds of maggots. I don't know how she lasted so long. Its been tears every since. Take care.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by