The Chick Challenge: 18 Chicks Need an ID

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by KDailey, Jul 12, 2011.

1. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I've got 18 chicks that need breed identification. If you can guess gender on the older ones that's great but it's not a must at the moment. I'd also like to know what color they might be when older.

These first 5 chicks are almost 3 weeks old. I was told the black ones are Cuckoo Marans but I'm not certain. The other two are completely unknown.

CHICK #1: Lighter colored than the other two blacks. Started getting feathers before the other two and has tail feathers growing in rapidly. No black wash on the legs.
    [​IMG]

CHICK #2: Dark black. Does have black wash on the front of the legs. Doesn't have hardly any tail feathers at all.
    [​IMG]

CHICK #3: I'm really unsure about this one. It's color is in-between the other two. Barely has a slight black wash on just the top of it's legs. Name is Big Mama (or Daddy)
    [​IMG]

CHICK #4: I'm fairly certain this might be a roo. It's comb is very orange as well as it's legs are very orange. It's comb is much much larger than the others it's age. It tends to really check things out and investigate. When feeding treats it tends to sit back and let the others eat and then comes in towards the end. Has also "mock fought" with Chick #1 whom I suspect may be a roo also. Does have a good bit of tail feathering.
    [​IMG]

CHICK #5: Looked like a chipmunk when it was younger. Nothin special about the legs. Does have a good bit of tail feathering. Also got it's feathers more rapidly than some of the others. UPDATE: Saw the lady who gave the chicks to me and she said she thinks he came from one of the eggs her mom gave her and she had some Phoenix's. After looking at pics of phoenix chicks on the internet I'm pretty darn sure she's right. So now it's just roo or pullet?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Buff Orpingtons. Just thought I'd throw their picture in here. lol
    [​IMG]

The breed choices for the chicks below are:
    [*]Assorted colors of Bantum Cochins
    [*]Assorted colors of Bantum d'Uccles

CHICK #11: Not a whole lot to say about this one other than it has a dark spot on it's head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #12: Not a whole lot to say about this one other than it's head is slightly darker than the rest of it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #13: Has gotten wing feathers in pretty rapidly. They seem to have a peachy color on the tips?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #14: This little guy is gettin wing feathers pretty fast. They seem to have a greyish tint to them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #15: Has black markings in the feathers. Looks like it may have a beard or ear muffs?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #16: This one is a peach color but looks to have some black or grey under-feathers (or whatever they're called) that gives it a shaded look. The wing feathers are coming in peachy colored.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #17: This chick and the one below it remind me of little penguins. Their heads are black, bodies are grey and they have black chipmunk stripes. This chick is darker grey than the one below and it's stripes are more pronounced. Name is Gwen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CHICK #18: This chick also reminds me of a little penguin. Head is black, body is grey, black chipmunk stripes. This chick is lighter than the chick above. Name is Pen.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. orpingtonbabies

orpingtonbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    ummm... #5 is an EE?
    #4 is def a roo but don't know what kind.... and
    #11 - 13 look cochin
    #14-16 d'Uccle

I'm really not so great at this (obviously) but hopefully I'll bump you up so some one more experienced will answer
    Good Luck!!!

3. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Thanks for your reply [​IMG] And the bump. lol

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Oh wow! What a project! Alright, here goes nuthin *rolls up sleeves*. I'll guess gender too on the ones that are obvious

1. Cuckoo Maran
    2. Barred Rock - Male
    3. Cuckoo Maran - Male
    4. Gold Fayoumi ? - Male
    5. Old English Game

11.-14. Splash White Cochin
    15.-16. Porceline D'Uccle
    17. Silver Laced Cochin
    18. Cochin - possibly Blue

5. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Thank you! What is the difference in Cuckoo Maran and Barred Rock? They both seem so similar to me. What makes you think the one is barred rock and the other is cuckoo maran?

UPDATE: #5 is more than likely a Phoenix! I saw the lady who gave them to me yesterday and we were talking about the chicks and she said that she thinks that he came from one of the eggs her mother gave her and her mother has some purebred phoenix's. I looked up the phoenix breed and there were several pics of chicks that look EXACTLY like him. So now it's just roo or pullet?

6. The Turken Lady

The Turken Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

#5 is not a phoenix. Phoenix have blue legs,not yellow legs.

I agree with Pele for the breeds.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:Cuckoo Marans and Barred Rocks are very similar but there ARE key differences you can look for:
    Cuckoo Marans have pale white leggs, and a straight comb. As they get older, you will see a slightly different pattern than traditional barring too, but that's harder to see for someone not used to looking for it.

Barred Rocks have bright yellow legs (sometimes with black shading on the front when they're young), and a straight comb. Their feathers have the traditional barring most people are used to.

You may want to use the above color rules to take a look at your chicks again, because cameras can have tricky lighting, and you might be able to see colors that I couldn't.

Good luck, and I hope that helped at least a little!

8. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Quote:Here is the link to the website I looked at. You'll have to scroll to nearly the bottom before it gets to the chicks' picture. He looks 100% exactly like these guys. Also, they're legs don't look all that blue. They look just like his. Is this maybe something that changes gradually as they age?
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/BRKPhoenix.html

Quote:Cuckoo Marans and Barred Rocks are very similar but there ARE key differences you can look for:
    Cuckoo Marans have pale white leggs, and a straight comb. As they get older, you will see a slightly different pattern than traditional barring too, but that's harder to see for someone not used to looking for it.

Barred Rocks have bright yellow legs (sometimes with black shading on the front when they're young), and a straight comb. Their feathers have the traditional barring most people are used to.

You may want to use the above color rules to take a look at your chicks again, because cameras can have tricky lighting, and you might be able to see colors that I couldn't.

Good luck, and I hope that helped at least a little!

Hmmm that's interesting. I'll have to take a look at them and see if they match

9. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Any other guesses?

10. KDailey

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    I now have another chickie! I know what this one is though. A white purebred Ameracauna, 5 weeks old [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by