the chick just hatched.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by s-dee, Jun 26, 2010.

1. s-dee

s-dee New Egg

Jun 26, 2010
    so my mom is the one who has been researching how to hatch the chicks. she went out of town for her anniversary, and planned to be back their hatch date. i agreed to just moniter the temperature. i just woke up to my cat freaking out, to find that one just hatched. the cat is outside now, but there is a baby bird in my room now and i have no idea how to help it. should i make room for it in the incubator? because the egg carton is taking up so much space and it keeps on moving from groove to groove (if that make sense) i just need a step by step process on how to help it because i would hate to be the reason for it's death just because i have no idea what to do, and my mom is far away so she can't be here to help it.

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Well dear, chicks can live for three days with out food and water so you can leave it where it is. If there are other eggs in the incu they should be fine too. If it is the only one you should have had a brooder ready. If you do fine. You can move the chicks WHEN THEY ARE DONE HATCHING, NOT BEFORE. If you absolutely need to.

Please don't worry things will be fine. If you mom is due home in the next day or two, wait. Leave the chick where it is.

Google hatching chicks and read real fast.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    As with rancherhicks....your little chick will be fine. Sound like your mom has them set up in a carton for hatching. As they hatch they will bang around into each other anyways and will be just fine. It is important not to open the incubator as they need that humidity to keep things moist during the hatching process. Lucky you might get to be the one to see them hatch! I still find every egg exciting to watch.
    Good luck and as rancerhicks says do lots of reading and keep asking questions here. I learn so much from people on BYC!

4. awesomefowl

awesomefowl Argues with Goats

good luck with the hatch! [​IMG]

5. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Sorry I should have said.

Hope all goes well

Rancher

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by