The chick wait is killing me!....THERE HERE w/ PICS!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BarkerChickens, Mar 24, 2009.

1. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We ordered 51 chicks from Welp and they were dropped shipped out of Privett in New Mexico yesterday. Welp said that CA people commonly get their chicks the next day since it is so close. Well, they didn't come in this morning. [​IMG] Do POs get shipments mid-day? I am guessing not. Hopefully we'll get a call bright and early tomorrow...or even better dark and early! I feel like a little kid waiting to go to Disneyland! I'm not ranting...they only shipped out yesterday, so tomorrow is an acceptable time frame. I am just excited and being impatient! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm in the same boat, hang in there [​IMG]

3. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    I know how you feel! I should be getting my 5 assorted tomorrow or Thurs. since they didn't come today. I go from nervous to excited to nervous......ack. I wish they would just come and get it over with so I can take care of them.

Then you hear horror stories and get nervous all over again. [​IMG]

4. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:I think we need a support group! [​IMG]

5. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    We got our chicks this morning! All 51 are alive! Hatched Monday morning (per box label) and delivered this morning! [​IMG] They gave us one less of the Javas, but an extra in Jersey Giants, so no complaints!

In all, we got....
    8 black Jersey Giants
    8 Salmon Faverolles
    8 Delawares
    13 Mottled Javas
    14 Buckeyes

One Mottled Java has mild spraddle. It is only in one leg and he/she can hobble around to eat and drink. The left leg is winged out at an angle towards the side rear, but the right leg is normal. I am assuming it was a hatching/hactchery issue since it was that way from the start with us. But, hopefully with the help of a previous post
    (https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=150166) we can get it corrected. [​IMG] That post has a great link to correct spraddle (if treated early enough).

One of our Jersey Giants is off to a bad start. He/she has his/her middle toe bit off partially by another chick (in the box maybe?). The chicks started pecking at it and dragging the chick around, so he/she is now in a mini box inside of the brooder. Hopefully it will be ok. The chick is eating, drinking and walking...just hope no infection sets in!

Other than that, all is good!

Here's a pic of the babies!
    [​IMG]

Here is the broken toe...the tip is completely gone. We had to cut it off since it was hanging by a thin piece of skin. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    CONGRATS on all of them being alive!!!!! [​IMG]

Would you mind posting a close up of one of your Mottled Java chicks?

7. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:Here ya go! [​IMG] Clockwise from the left bottom corner is a Buckeye, Delaware, Black Jersey Giant and the mottled Java (in the blue lid).
    [​IMG]

8. Honey1

Honey1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Awww
    What adorable babies! [​IMG]

9. bulldog-girl

bulldog-girl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Estacada, OR
    I love the little mottled one. Are these pullets or straight run?

Love them little fuzzy butts!!![​IMG]

10. BarkerChickens

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Quote:They are a straight run. We will keep a couple roos (we think) and the rest will become dinner when they are old enough. The pullets will split roughly 50-50 with DH's best friend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by