The Chicken Adventures Continue...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Mudcat, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Mudcat

Mudcat New Egg

Oct 14, 2010
    Coldspring, TX
    Hello,
    12 weeks ago, we brought home 12 chicks -- 3 Buff Orpingtons, 2 Rhode Island Reds, 3 Black Australorps and 4 Easter Eggers. I'm new to the forum and thought I'd introduce myself with a short story.
    My wife and teenage daughter had a good laugh at me, the dog and the pullets, the other day. They were watching out the kitchen window, as I was going into the chicken run to give them some scraps. The pullets are so tame, now, they walk right up to you, peck at your clothes, and allow you to scoop them up in your open hand. They will try to come right out the chicken run door to you.
    I had a bag of scraps in one hand and opened the door, with the other hand. I had to bend down and use one hand and foot to keep the pullets inside. I couldn't close the door, because the dog was using her nose and head to swing the door open wider, so she could see inside. I was going back and forth, using one hand and foot to push pullets back in the run, while trying to use the other hand and foot to push the nosey dog out and close the door she kept swinging open. This back and forth routine went on 6 or 7 times. Neither the dog or the pullets would take the hint, until I yelled at the dog to stop pushing the door open! Then, all 13 animals stepped back and looked at me with a "Wow! What's your problem?" look on their faces.
    The whole time I could hear my girls cackling with laughter.

--Mudcat

2. love_a_duck

love_a_duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2010
    Waterford, Michigan
    The whole time I could hear my girls cackling with laughter.

I was thinking the chickens, or your wife and daughters?
    But the chickens wanted to know what you were yelling about.
    LOL
    They just wanted treats!
    Thank you for the story....

and welcome to BYC!​

3. maurerwerks

maurerwerks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Sunapee
    Funny story - been there - done that - got the same look!

[​IMG]

4. Mudcat

Mudcat New Egg

Oct 14, 2010
    Coldspring, TX
    I had not thought about the chickens that way. I guess the wife and daughter would be my first 2 girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by