The Chicken Chateau

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gis777, Jul 20, 2011.

1. gis777

gis777 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad built our coop out of scraps we had at our house. I love how it turned out! [​IMG] Eventually it will house our 10 chickens when they are old enough.

2. LadyB

LadyB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    Issaquah, WA
    Very nice! I love the bright colors; mine is painted very similar! [​IMG]

How big is it? To me, it looks a little small for 10 chickens...

3. Vora

Vora Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Quote:Perfect for 10 chickens. The 4 sq ft per bird posted here often is OVERKILL. Chickens huddle together when the roost - and keep in mind that they roost - so floor space isn't as big of a deal as having enough height or width for several roosts, which this definitely has. But for this one, I definitely wouldn't push past 10 chickens.

However, I would say that the run is WAY too small for anything more than 5 chickens... I hope you're expanding it.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Tell your dad- nice job.

Imp

5. gis777

gis777 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    We have a larger run: [​IMG]

We have 3 nesting boxes inside..I have read and heard it will be great for the girls. I wont have more than 10. We will butcher to eat and rotate birds in and out one day. For now, its just for eggs. [​IMG]

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Looks very good [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MARANMAN2011

MARANMAN2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2011
    Nice beachy colors. Nice job!!!!!

8. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I know everyone says 4 sq ft per bird. But don't tell them my 4 hens sleep in a plastic playhouse. There is no way that thing is 16sq ft. Some breeds tolerate close quarters better than others. Their run is 160sq ft (temporary) and while they don't seem to mind, I feel awful. It looks so cramped. If you have good weather throughout the year or cover part of the run to keep out the snow and rain, all they do is sleep in the coop anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by