The chicken chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kessy09, Nov 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kessy09

Kessy09 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Rural Manitoba
    Does anyone know how to get a response from her? I've sent two comments on one of her blog posts informing her of an inaccuracy that should be corrected. The comment was moderated and verified but never posted publicly and a correction was never made. Today I sent the following comment and found out that my permission to leave comments had been terminated. We are all here to help each other along and I feel that the error she made was detrimental enough that it should be corrected. The first two comments were polite and courteous. No response was given. This is the third comment:
    I've sent two comments now notifying you of the difference between cocci and coccidiosis. Although many inexperienced chicken owners use the terms interchangeably I feel that you, someone people turn to for accurate information, should be promoting the correct terms. They are two totally and completely different things! It is irresponsible, especially when you've been notified of the difference on several occasions. The discrepancy could mean life/death of the chicken if an owner reads your blog and sees those symptoms in her chicken, then researches "treatment for cocci." Please make the appropriate changes to your article!

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    I would guess that since your permission to comment has been terminated, no change will be made. Perhaps she doesn't know the difference? [​IMG] Take a deep breath & relax........
    Your best bet is to post an article here clarifying the difference with associated references. People do get confused with the two since it would be a fairly logical assumption that cocci is short for coccidiosis. It's certainly worth noting, especially for 'new eggs', Sue

3. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Yes, PLEASE do an article regarding the difference as I had no clue they were two different things. I googled it and find little to nothing online and don't see anything regarding the difference on BYC.

I lost faith long ago with the numerous blogs and FB pages regarding chicken keeping as there's so much conflicting and sometimes down-right silly and/or dangerous info floating about on them. BYC is wonderful as there are so many knowledgeable people here to bounce these opinions and ideas off of. It's unfortunate that you didn't get a response and really sad that your privileges were revoked.

4. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Welcome to the 'internet age' where just about anybody can set themselves up as an 'expert' on anything and blog away like a fountain of all knowledge. Makes for interesting reading sometimes, but take a pinch of salt with most! [​IMG] Sue

1 person likes this.
  5. Kessy09

Jun 16, 2013
    Rural Manitoba
    I will create an article outlining the differences and different treatments.

I was hoping she was involved on this forum as I know some other "big names" of the chicken world are, and that she would see this thread and respond here.

6. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    In the chicken community we refer to Coccidia(Coccidiosis)as Cocci.
    If you prefer to get technical then Cocci is actually one of the plural forms of Coccus,the other is Coccuses,which is any bacterium that has a spherical shape. I believe the Coccidia parasite/oocysts are in fact spherical shaped,so the term Cocci,would be appropriate to use.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Thought I should add that when I used the term cocci instead of coccidiosis with my avian vet I got a lecture, lol. So now I just write and say "coccidiosis".

-Kathy

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  8. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    This is true, however, there is a human disease called coccidiomycosis - also known as Valley fever. It is found in SW states of the US, also parts of the central americas. Confusingly, also known as cocci.

9. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,there is a soil fungus called coccidioides which causes coccidioidomycosis fungal disease of the lungs. That is why it is so important for everyone to have some understanding of the diseases/parasites we reference here on BYC. If we mention cocci is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract that is common to chickens,clearly we do not mean coccidioidomycosis,fungal infection that humans/animals can get in their lungs,or coccus which is spherical shaped bacteria. I have never found it confusing,but then i realize that cocci is short for coccidiosis the parasite.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  10. Kessy09

Jun 16, 2013
    Rural Manitoba
    I think the major issue is that new chicken owners are the ones likely to get confused and turn to google. Which brings up in the first few links the chicken chick website. All my point was is that someone claiming to be an expert, and getting paid to do a chicken blog, shouldn't be so flimsy with the terms. People who have owned chickens for lengthly periods of time maybe won't get confused but it was that experience that got us to this point. I actually don't know anyone in the chicken community that refers to coccidiosis as cocci. We must run with different flocks (despite living so close together). In my line of work we refer to the infection as exactly what it is. I would get in major troubles if I wrote on a results sheet that a pet just had "cocci" if I was referring to coccidia. One's treated with antibiotics, the other with a coccidiostat. Could spell a lot of trouble for the patient. I'm still working on the article I'm going to post but it's coming. To me, it is very important to get technical on these kinds of things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by