The Chicken Conversation Thread!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Chickenfan4life, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Hello. Welcome to The Chicken Conversation Thread! [​IMG]

Rules? I dont have many, but I do have some reasonable rules.

1. Please, please, please do not post rude comments and/or start flame-wars. [​IMG]

2. Please only post your own pictures of your own chickens. [​IMG]

3. Please be sympathetic to other members posting tragedies in this thread. [​IMG]

This is a Chicken Conversation Thread. You can post absolutely anything that has to do with chickens. So, that means you can post stories of tragedies, funny events, or just stories of chickens and pics are totally welcome! So, c'mon! Let's get this party started! I want this thread to at least reach 10 pages before it is unpopular.

(Oh, and please subscribe if you like my thread. [​IMG])

2. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    Hi,, great Thread!,, I just went to get my chickens in for the night as we are in Manitoba, Canada and it is getting dark and cold.. well all were in but as I went to close the pop door one came out,, then another so I had my little blue heeler pup with me on the otherside of the fence so I brought him in to help get the few in... he finally did kinda chase them in and when I yelled stop HE DID!! Wow.. how nice good help.. just had to share as I am so happy he is so good with them..

3. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Wow! That is waaaaaaaaay better than our dogs will do when chasing chickens! Thank you for posting on my thread. [​IMG]

4. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Does anyone else have some stories they wanna share? Pics? Stories? Pics?

5. I found one of my favorite chicks, drowned a couple weeks ago. I was sitting on the porch thinking about why I was even bothering to raise chickens if they would all die anyways (it was the third or fourth, unrelated, death in 2 days, and it was kinda depressing me). And all of a sudden 30 of my favorite chickens and all three goats came over to me, and a bunch of the chickens sat next to me or on the Adirondack chairs behind me, and some got on my lap or on my shoulders or head, and the goats all laid down and put their heads on my knees. Then I remembered why I do this. :')

6. Nevada Sun

Nevada Sun Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Howden, Manitoba, Canada
    I think that is precious! It's amazing how they really know,,, I am so sorry about the little chicks.. heartbreaking,, but real nice to know our furry and feathered family care and do sense a heavy heart.. take care ...

7. Oh, here's some pics:

This Feb. I got three Porcelain d'Uccle chicks. 2 hens and a roo. Well, one of the hen's is way smaller than the other. I named her Stoner because she always looks stoned. Well, her best friends are my Salmon Faverolle and my two Partridge Cochins (that might as well be Siamese twins for as much as they stick together). I caught her with the Fav the other day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG](Stoner's been in the apple orchard so her face is all dirty)

[​IMG]On the porch. That's Stoner on the chair on the left next to my Cochin, Big Lady, and Temple is on the arm rest.

[​IMG]Lulu's butt

Oh and a size comparison from July on my this year's d'Uccles:

[​IMG]Stoner on the bottom and Temple is the other one....

8. Chickenfan4life

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Oh wow. How amazing! Animals are always there for you.

Gorgeous birds, Ms Bagawk.

9. Joe Jordan

Joe Jordan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Last night was the first night our girls got to feel what it is like to sleep in freezing temps, (we live in KS). Well, they would have gotten to feel the cold. Instead, I did yesterday what I had been meaning to do since I built the coop. I ran electricity to it and plugged in a brooder lamp for heat and set it on a timer. Also, it is secured three different ways to the coop so there is virtually no way it can fall into the wood chips on the floor and start a fire. I was concerned a heat lamp bulb would be a little much and knew the girls just needed to have the edge taken off the cold so I just used a 100 watt bulb instead. The light came on at sundown and stayed on till about 9:30 then it came on for thirty minutes every hour and a half until about 5:30 this morning when it came on and remained on till the sun was fully warming their run at about 9:am.

Haha, yay me! Small victories make me smile. :)

10. Wishing4Wings

Wishing4Wings Isn't it Amazing?

May 7, 2012
    Sonoma County, CA
    What a great group you have! Love the variety. I think it's funny how some chickens will have a buddy or two. They form their little cliques. These two certainly seem like the odd couple, but they are darling together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by