the chicken experience of a newbie

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by puddleandnugget, Jan 10, 2015.

1. puddleandnugget

puddleandnugget Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2015
    Yorkshire UK
    Ok. I'll try to keep this brief, but i want to share a chicken story. My kids wanted pets, we eventually agreed on chickens, i liked the idea of having pets that we would not get too attached too, they're only chickens right? At the end of August we collect 4 girls from our local petting farm. Nugget (Pekin Bantam), Foghorn (large hybred), Mabel (light Sussex), Chloe (RIR). We'd read the books, built the coup etc and were ready. Instantly we loved them (so much for not getting attatched). The girls grew, and grew. No eggs. Lots of fun. Until, one morning Foghorn looked up at me and let out a 'cockadooledoo', followed by Mable, then Chloe. Three massive boys, one tiny girl!! Not good! I called the farmer and he agreed to take them back. I drove them to the farm, in tears thinking they would be on his table v soon (they had names, it's all good, but when they have names they become pets). I arrived at the farm, looked at the farmer and said 'you are going go put them in a pie aren't you?' He chuckled and said 'NO - follow me', so I watched my boys being released into pens with girls of the same breed. HAPPY!! I brought home a little Bantam girl pal for Nugget, Nugget hated her at first (she missed her big boys) but with time and patience Nugget and Puddle are now best buddies. No eggs yet. But i have defo caught the chicken bug.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm sure you realize now that chickens are sooooooooooo easy to get attached to [​IMG]. Cute picture and great story! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. puddleandnugget

Jan 8, 2015
    Yorkshire UK

4. puddleandnugget

Jan 8, 2015
    Yorkshire UK
    Thanks we adore them, how could i ever think we would not. I do hope we get eggs soon, but it is a little cold atm. We want more chickens but will wait for the warmer weather.

5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Cute chickens. I think a lot of people new to chickens are surprised how attached they get. I think fish are about the only pet that I did not get attached to, but I am sure there must be some people who form an attachment to fish as well.

6. puddleandnugget

Jan 8, 2015
    Yorkshire UK
    Thanks. I just love them, i can sit for hours just watching them, they are so clever and highly amusing. I am not as attached to our three goldfish, however i did spend time on boxing day hand feeding one of them with peas. The filter broke and it developed a swim bladder problem. Ha ha - it worked, she/he is now swimming the right way up and appears happy (well for a fish).

7. puddleandnugget

Jan 8, 2015
    Yorkshire UK

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by